Mould on chimney breast

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjo187

Ive just been to look at a job and the chimney breast is all mouldy caused by water coming in down the chimney, there getting it capped or whatever needs doing. Right the question I'm getting at is will the brickwork need treating with anything once ive hacked of the plaster to stop the mould coming back again? Or am I best to batten off and board it? Any advice apreciated.

They maybe just need a cowl on the top and an air vent in the chimney breast. Get the plaster off and leave it to dry out for a week if you can, then either float & skim or DryLine it. Make sure they keep the vent though:RpS_thumbup:

Edit: Maybe treat the brickwork if it is really bad with an anti-fungal agent.

Last edited:
If the brick work has soot on it ,this will show through the plaster and the paint with yellow/brown patches.You can buy a product that will remove this but cant remeber for the hell of me what it called.Also make you you put a vent in it to stop the condesation.
If its that bad you need to knock the plaster off then d ad d it.
If the plaster is in a good sate but just mouldy wash it with bleach then paint with a anti mould paint that contains carbendazine to stop the mould regrowth.( probably adviseable to so this even if you plaster it jus incase it comes back.

What ever metthod you go with dont use bleach to wash down as it dosent kill the spores you need a mould cleaner containing Benzalkonium Chloride you can also get a stain stop which you spray on finished plaster before you decorate to stop any residues in the chimney leaching through, bit expensive though,. any oil based paint will do the same

Must admit I have often used domestos to 'clean' off black mould, but since joining the forum I've learned that it might not be the best way to go........I like being educated, it's good to learn:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.