Mono staining - Scraped vs sprayed roughcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

goody

Private Member
Just a thought on staining with mono - its the scraped part of the finish that lets it down. Your removing the protective skin and exposing the matted and pitted body of the render. With a sprayed rough cast in the same material the finish is left with the skin on. Takes on more of the qualities of painted s&c which makes it a durable finish and something you can only achieve by machine.

But the two are nothing like each other in appearance. One is flat the other very bumpy. Being mono both are high tension so are at risk of cracking. The flat is fairly easy to patch the cracks up but the rough cast would be difficult.

Also one looks good on a certain property as the other wouldn't. There are some new properties in Sheffield was has been built in 1920's style brick work and roofing with roughcast and look superb as mono being modern wouldn't have looked that good being a modern finish on an old style house.

5 yrs ago mono in the domestic market was taking over from dash. Now you never see it because of the staining issues etc. Also the flat sharp finish didn't suit 30s semis and Victorian terraces etc. so now dash is as popular as ever again but in the last year or so I've noticed more houses going for a traditional rough cast which is a more upmarket finish which suits the houses better. Nobody's machining tho so there's definitely a market for it round sunny Swansea at least(pebbledash city!)

I know of a local new build estate in my area where scraped mono has been applied. Less than 3 yrs old, yet it looks disgusting - there are stains, runs and various shading around all panels.

I applied a mono coat to a new build nearby, prior to this estate being built, but left it plain finished and there is no problem with it in appearance or maintenance.

Scraped finish in my opinion, is not all what its cracked up to be.

People market through coloured renders and thin coat acrylics as never paint again but its not true as they still get dirty and stain overtime they shoul be called dont paint initially. the best product for keeping appearance is defo pebbledash

I put on what the customer asks for within reason so long as its suitable for the substrate, i keep my labour rates the same per m2 per coat and give them a finish they ask for

I know of a local new build estate in my area where scraped mono has been applied. Less than 3 yrs old, yet it looks disgusting - there are stains, runs and various shading around all panels.

I applied a mono coat to a new build nearby, prior to this estate being built, but left it plain finished and there is no problem with it in appearance or maintenance.

Scraped finish in my opinion, is not all what its cracked up to be.

Exactly, it's taking the skin off that makes mono undurable. Same thing would happen with cement if you scraped it. Being white or cream then just makes things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.