Mono help search

Members online

mik8hx

After a couple of bad jobs on the mono I've decided to try get some help on my next 2 , which are coming up in a few weeks time. So I'm looking for a lift and bit of guidance off a GOOD renderer. Pm if keen to act as tutor for a day or 3.

After a couple of bad jobs on the mono I've decided to try get some help on my next 2 , which are coming up in a few weeks time. So I'm looking for a lift and bit of guidance off a GOOD renderer. Pm if keen to act as tutor for a day or 3.

Where are you based? You may find someone nearby who would be willing to guide you in the right direction and teach you. I would also advise contacting the manufacturer of the product and go on their training course - this will help give you more product knowledge and an insight into how to do the systems.

Get the rep of the manufacturer your using out on the job to assist you. I'm doing my first parex job soon and the reps coming out to asses us to make us authorised installers or whatever you call it.

Gets me goat this, clowns that 'practice' on some poor buggers house.
The amount of bad renders you see on domestic houses. Everyone's needs a leg up sometimes and you have to start somewhere, but there's ways and means.

I remember doing my first mono job a long time ago no training just phoned the company up asked how to do it. And off I went. Had no problems at all. It was a bungalow I'd say that helped. I did the garage first.

Wow. A decent cross section of responses. Where to start.
@Plasterers1StopShop and @madmonk I'm in west Yorks.

@Orangemachineman it's not confidence I'm lacking its experience

@stuart23 I'd be happy to put someone in digs and travel so I ain't having someone local be put out although my jobs are mainly repeat customers and don't generally look for work outside my own area or client base especially mono jobs. I ain't even arsed about making the money off the jobs just would prefer to know that I ain't gonna be letting folk down in future.

@GrantyBoy one of them was weber, a
big un for a guy I do loads of internal work for. It was s**t from the start old building had been hacked off and was red brick underneath so rend aid, loads of wonky columns, guy dint want to pay twice and use a base coat. All that being said I can't look at it with out feeling embarrassed. I couldn't do do out about the flatness but white spot, halos, discoloured and substrate showing in areas. Awful job all round and there was 550m of it,bought the sil.p to cover it but colour match was shite and dint bother asking for last grand owed.
The other was a simple garden wall job in special coloured krend and ended up putting second pass on too thin so breeze was showing through and although was only 2m high I dint manage to get it flat anywhere. I redid this at a loss but couldn't sort the flatness only the depths really.

I have had decent results on some too large and small but lack enough knowledge to be consistent .

@owls Your spot on fella there is a way and means and I think this is as good as any and since your from my county I reckon your the man to knock the clown out of me. Congratulations. C u next Tuesday . ;)

@Rigsby the upcoming jobs are a garage to prep with rend aid and top coat unspecified yet. About 50m and bottom 2.5m round a house again will prob need a rend aid or like wise and bead top and bottom, this one about 100m2 or so.
The only prob with getting advice on forum is there's more than one way to f**k a donkey, and it becomes a mashup of a dozen bits off different advice from people that have varying skill levels.

Cheers for all responses.

You need to be spraying it on with any kind of decent area.
The thing to do is sub it out to an experienced renderer, stick your 10% on top, you shadow them, they get paid, you get paid, a good job gets done, everyone wins.

The thing to do is sub it out to an experienced renderer, stick your 10% on top, you shadow them, they get paid, you get paid, a good job gets done, everyone wins.
Your probe right and with the larger of the two jobs I mentioned I may do that, not sure there's much point on the smaller one

I think you are better off joining a gang for a few days instead asking someone to come to you. You will learn more

I remember doing my first mono job a long time ago no training just phoned the company up asked how to do it. And off I went. Had no problems at all. It was a bungalow I'd say that helped. I did the garage first.
my 1st mono job was below a bay window, 3m2............since i got the ritmo im smashing 10 baggers all day long

I am spraying in Sheffield next week if you want to spend a day with us. Manchester side next to the Moors of Derbyshire.

Will be Parex so a long day.

So long as hou not from South Yorkshire though.

I'm up against it trying to get back up to date since I only got back off holiday last week. But cheers for the offer and would happily come as an extra pair of hands when diary is a little less crammed. Defoe not from the south and won't be fishing in your pond at any time.
Cheers

You must be mental not taking Rigsby up on that, his knowledge on render is top end and you may not get another offer

Funny that, some of us were spreading over entire estates long before machines put it on the wall for you. If we have problems with a machine on site today the tubs and trowels come out and we get a days spread on until we can get back and swop the machine.

I am spraying in Sheffield next week if you want to spend a day with us. Manchester side next to the Moors of Derbyshire.

Will be Parex so a long day.

So long as you are not from South Yorkshire though.
Nice one :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Funny that, some of us were spreading over entire estates long before machines put it on the wall for you. If we have problems with a machine on site today the tubs and trowels come out and we get a days spread on until we can get back and swop the machine.
Yep very funny...
So was I years ago before machines were commonly available. But times moved on and machines are ready available and more cost effective, how can handballing areas on by hand be more effective than spraying it on.
do you still do your invoices on a typewriter ....?

my eldest son has stopped site mono as the local rate has dropped by 66% , only easterns working on externals in north essex.

Yep very funny...
So was I years ago before machines were commonly available. But times moved on and machines are ready available and more cost effective, how can handballing areas on by hand be more effective than spraying it on.
do you still do your invoices on a typewriter ....?

We can get half a gable on whilst the soft lads are still oinking the machine out the van. Sprays are good if its one man and a labourer, provided it works out the van. 3 quick guys can outpace one though.

We can get half a gable on whilst the soft lads are still oinking the machine out the van. Sprays are good if its one man and a labourer, provided it works out the van. 3 quick guys can outpace one though.
But it's the toll it takes on your body hand balling not just a financial thing.
And lugging gear up scaffold madness.

But it's the toll it takes on your body hand balling not just a financial thing.
And lugging gear up scaffold madness.

My new lab insists on mixing in tubs right where I am working. Eager to start but he lugs the water barrel up, two big gorilla tubs, electrics, whisk, then loads of bags. No room to move!

My old lab mixes near the ladder and brings buckets of gear up. More room and he is faster on setting up.