mixing...

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlos

Private Member
Can we have a bash at doing some sort of a mixing guide without it getting to the kirk 3:1 debate.

A sort of over block xxxx over old brick xxxx over old stone xxxx

This was Chris W idea I have just started this off.

Re: mixing

over block 3:1
over brick 3:1
over woodchip 3:1
over....you get the idea.

I ll start, I do loads of replastering after dpc injection. The spec the compainy I work for is 3:1 sand cement and water proofer, to be skimmed with boad finish.

Regardless of the background or the thickness.

what does almost a bag of opc into a mixerful to the brim so its slopping out the lip work out at then? with dry washed jewsons plastering sand, 3/4 of a mcdonalds coffee cup of waterproofer and almost, but not quite, 1 builders bucket of hard water from lincolnshire

so you say you dont want to get into the debate about 3:1. then say you use 3:1???

I no I no but all I am saying is I use because it meets a spec

What I want a a general guide.

if you use less cement but more waterproofer on a damp job is it more likely to be less or more waterproof?
what does actually happen if you put old mix back in the mixer?
if you use a 4:1 scratch coat and a 3:1 float coat which one will fall off first?
what happens if you use soft sand for a scratch coat and sharp sand for a float coat?
what happens if you put render on 30mm thick in one go?
why do damp companies say you shouldnt paint a newly plastered wall with silk paint even though its had 'waterproofer' in it and its been allowed to dry for 3 weeks?
whats the difference between retarder and waterproofer?
whats the difference between waterproofer from jewsons and waterproofer from say, sovereign chemicals or triton?
what happens if you add frostproofer to a mix?
is it possible to skim render the same day?
does render still stay 'green' for a while even if you use orange sand?

This is not what I am asking.

Ok as easy as I can make it, unless otherwise spec'd 4:1 scratch coat and 5:1 top coat.

Is this an acceptable way of doing things.

ive always used 3:1 for damp jobs, and ive always had it on one hit.... dubbed out and straightened it almost straight away...
reason being, in my understanding is that waterproofer acts on the cement content of the mix, which is why its dosed per kg of cement, not per litre of water....
which is also why it doesnt become fully active until the cement has 'cured'...
apparently...
but thats damp jobs... and most damp jobs (or a lot of em anyway) are over old common bricks with lime mortar...
and im also lead to believe that waterproofer breathes slightly, it would have to which is why the damp company waterproofer contains a salt neutraliser, otherwise how would the salt get through if it was completely waterproof?
now theres a loverly little rendering job near me that lloked like it was scratched out @ about 4:1, left for months before floating but it looks like the floating was around a 5/6:1 judging by the colour... its been done over a year now and they still havent painted it... prolly some of the best rendering ive seen for a while...
concrete block before that....

i have asked Essexandy if he would like to do a post on render mixes so watch this space , well not this space the new to plastering space.

Thank you church.

Chris I agree with what your saying but your answering a question I have'nt asked.
I just want to know what I should be doing when I render in the future regardless to
what I have done in the past.

Chris W said:
if you use less cement but more waterproofer on a damp job is it more likely to be less or more waterproof? ALL DEPENDS MATE, LABEL USUALLY STATE'S MIX RATIO
what does actually happen if you put old mix back in the mixer? CONTAMINATES THE MIX AND MAKES IT WEAKER
if you use a 4:1 scratch coat and a 3:1 float coat which one will fall off first? PROBABLY NETHER AS LONG AS YOU KEY IT PROPERLY... WAVY DEEP SCRATCHES
what happens if you use soft sand for a scratch coat and sharp sand for a float coat? NOT MUCH AS-LONG AS ITS WELL KEYED, SHARP SAND COMPACTS BETTER SO IT GIVES YOU A STRONGER MORE SOLID FINISH
what happens if you put render on 30mm thick in one go? ALL SAND AND CEMENT SHRINKS WHEN IT DRIES OUT, WITH THINNER COATS THERE IS LESS CHANCE OF SHRINKAGE CRACKS
why do damp companies say you shouldnt paint a newly plastered wall with silk paint even though its had 'waterproofer' in it and its been allowed to dry for 3 weeks? PROBABLY JUST AN EXTRA PRECAUTION INCASE THER IS ANY MORE MOISTURE TO COME OUT OF THE WALL, ASS SILK PAINT IS WATERPROOF THE MOISTURE LEAVING THE WALL MIGHT CAUSE IT TO BUBBLE OFF, PERSONALLY I DONT LIKE TO SEE ANY FRESH PLASTER PAINTED WITH SILK AS IT SEEMS TO SIT LIKE A SKIN ON THE FINISH RATHER THAN SOAKING IN
whats the difference between retarder and waterproofer? RETARDER GOES IN THE MIX AND SLOWS THE SET DOWN, WATERPROOFER WONT SLOW IT DOWN BUT IF PUT IN THE SCRATCH COAT WILL SLOW DOWN THE SUCTION GIVING YOU MORE TIME TO WORK THE TOP COAT
whats the difference between waterproofer from jewsons and waterproofer from say, sovereign chemicals or triton? NOT MUCH
what happens if you add frostproofer to a mix? IT WONT FREEZE, ITS LIKE ANTIFREEZE IN YOUR CAR
is it possible to skim render the same day? YEP BUT WHEN RENDER DRIES IT SLIGHTLY SHRINKS SO GOOD CHANCE SKIM WILL CRACK ALL OVER
does render still stay 'green' for a while even if you use orange sand? YES

;D

what i i dont get is why some people say you dont need waterproofer s/c is waterproof anyway or is until its painted with a good masonry paint ???............and if it is why does it suck the life out of skim if you leave it a week?

carlos said:
Thank you church.

Chris I agree with what your saying but your answering a question I have'nt asked.
I just want to know what I should be doing when I render in the future regardless to
what I have done in the past.

3-1 SCRATCH
3-1 TOP

if you are skint i sopose you could do a
4-1 scratch
4-1 top

spunky said:
what i i dont get is why some people say you dont need waterproofer s/c is waterproof anyway or is until its painted with a good masonry paint ???............and if it is why does it suck the life out of skim if you leave it a week?

its not in any way waterproof mate, thats why damp is such a problem.

Kirk just out of intrest would you render the outside of a house with your 3;1 or just inside before skimming ?

Kirk not having a go mate but if you even considered puting a 3x1 over thermos or faced brick or common brick you will have probs the whole point of rendering is that it should get weaker now a concrete block you may get away with 3x1 maybe but thermos are about 7x1 maybe more .what a lot of guys don't understand is that you can't just throw any old mix on the wall you have to establish what it is your going on to then judge from there .I only say this to help you try make the correct decision before you throw 3x1 in the mixer again not having ago just tryin to help

pwi said:
Kirk not having a go mate but if you even considered puting a 3x1 over thermos or faced brick or common brick you will have probs the whole point of rendering is that it should get weaker now a concrete block you may get away with 3x1 maybe but thermos are about 7x1 maybe more .what a lot of guys don't understand is that you can't just throw any old mix on the wall you have to establish what it is your going on to then judge from there .I only say this to help you try make the correct decision before you throw 3x1 in the mixer again not having ago just tryin to help

i can see what you are saying mate and thanks for the concern but i dont concern myself to much with all this the background is to weak or to smooth because i dont rely upon the brick or block alone to bond the render to the wall. i always create a mechanical key in the way that i rake out about one inch in depth of the mortar bed, this way the render is actually grabbing the brickwork and not just floating on top of it. can you see what i am saying mate?

100 percent but that's the joints what if you go over an old week faced brick and your mix is now stronger than the brick its self ,I've gone to see a lot of jobs where clients say the render is f**k*d when you start to chop of there is lumps of brick coming away .and just for interest a thermo block is almost 75 percent air inch depth joints and 3x1 aint going to hold that so somtimes weaker mix does help

pwi said:
100 percent but that's the joints what if you go over an old week faced brick and your mix is now stronger than the brick its self ,I've gone to see a lot of jobs where clients say the render is (french word)ed when you start to chop of there is lumps of brick coming away .and just for interest a thermo block is almost 75 percent air inch depth joints and 3x1 aint going to hold that so somtimes weaker mix does help

ok erm...

i would say that if the fronts of the bricks are coming off then i dont think anything will stay on it because the background is coming away, i would recommend hacking off as much loose as you can, rake out joints, then if you are still worried you could then consider metal lath ;)

now on the subject of thermolite block, 79% air.. well you cant put air bubbles in your mix so i dont think any mix of sand and cement will be weaker than them, any way i have never seen a house built out of thermolite block, i thought they were for the internal in which case you would use tough coat.

now here is one for everyone to think about seen as how everyone is worried about the back ground being weaker that the plaster sitting on top of it. which is weaker- finish or paper? yes thats right we all skim plasterboard, or what about driwall boardadhesive on top of thermolite block?

now i have got all you 3-1 haters thinking haven't i? ;D

We do loads of thermos out side mostley extensions as they are good for insulaton purposes. And we also use dri wall on them to and I can assure you if you tried to take it of you would take a chunck of block with it ,any way kirk I'm not going to go on about it

Kirk every time you put plasticiser in your mix you are putting air in the sand & cement.
Board adhesive onto blocks doesn't cover the whole wall so it tensile strength won't cause any problems unlike when strong render goes onto soft bricks and causes the problem described by pwi.
I know you've looked at my website Kirk, some of those banded renders are on thermalite/celcon blocks, some not far from me have been done for 15 years now and haven't got a single crack on them, first coat 6:1 topcoat 9:2:1 8)

pwi said:
We do loads of thermos out side mostley extensions as they are good for insulaton purposes. And we also use dri wall on them to and I can assure you if you tried to take it of you would take a chunck of block with it ,any way kirk I'm not going to go on about it

well there you go you just proved your self wrong in that you cant a strong mix on a weak background? and its ok mate you can go on about it if you want mate, i take all advice and i appreciate your point, i come on this forum to learn more about the trade i love. i am not set in my ways with the way i mix sand and cement its just it works just fine for me and the way i do it, if i ever get a phonecall to say that the work i have done is falling off then i will reconsider but as i have sain in another post there was a scotch plasterer called w. miller and he used to use this ratio and i some cases an even stronger mix and his work is still there today. :)

so kirk would you use a 3:1 on thermalites? i'm abit uneducated when it comes to different mix ratios for different backgrounds.

essexandy said:
Kirk every time you put plasticiser in your mix you are putting air in the sand & cement.
Board adhesive onto blocks doesn't cover the whole wall so it tensile strength won't cause any problems unlike when strong render goes onto soft bricks and causes the problem described by pwi.
I know you've looked at my website Kirk, some of those banded renders are on thermalite/celcon blocks, some not far from me have been done for 15 years now and haven't got a single crack on them, first coat 6:1 topcoat 9:2:1 8)

am not saying that they will crack mate all i am saying is that your mix of sand and cement is still stronger than the thermo blocks. do you agree or would you say that your sand and cement mix is weaker than a thermo block?

Status
Not open for further replies.