Mitre

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt01

Hi ladies.
I'm looking for a new coving/cornice mitre. Must be able to cut a all sizes of coving. Any ideas or trusted products out there.
I've seen this, looks practical buy cheap.
www.magicmitre.co.uk
Cheers ;)

magic mitre ::)

how about the magic pencil and tape measure? and any old 90 degree cutting block..

learn to do it the old fashioned way, then buy yourself a fancy plastic box of tricks..
its like learning long multiplication on a calculator then leaving it at home when you really need it..

coving is an absolute piece of piss once you know what youre doing and youve got over the 'i cant get my angles the right way round i keep cuttin em backwards' stage...
in which case all you need is like tony said, a right angled block to cut in... the rest can be done with a tape measure and a pencil, whether its 34 degrees or 90 degrees, the theory is simple...
lets say you had an external mitre, about 120 degrees...
you'd p'ss around with that box of tricks for half an hour and still end up with a load of filler right where you dont want it - in the mitre..
i'd mark 2 lines on the ceiling, cut 2 peices of cove and be in the pub having left a perfect job before youve found the bits your missing for the plastic wondermitre thing...

Ok thanks Tony, Chris. I bought 3 lengths of 3x2 and a box of screws, I have a pencil around here somewhere and my neighbour has a tape measure i could use.
Now what??? ::)

For a start, you are going to want something like door lining material 25mm mdf or 6x2. I made one up on Monday out of 2 2 foot lengths of 6x2 and a 400x600 rectangle of flooring.
Screw the 6x2 to the board base (from the underside), parallel to each other, the same measurement apart that the coving projects on to the ceiling. Once you have done that mark with a square, a 45 degree angle across the tops of the 6x2 in either direction, square down and cut with a sharp saw.
Here's a pic wot I drew just for you.
sc000cf18f.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm taking the p*ss. Shot for the effort Tony.
I'll need to make one any way as the cornice is 7inch long on the wall and 4inch on the ceiling.
I've been looking for an excuse to justify buying a double compound electric saw.

All good m8y. It's gonna look pukka, a bit anxious for the 36piece ceiling rose.
Thinking about it, that whole bloody room is going to be a mission.

pro finish said:
give fat (french person) molloy the measurements and get him to miter for ya

you can fu.ck off, i rang you to get his number for the woman and you didnt answer! no reception my ar.se! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.