who is right?

• Developer

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Tradesman

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a serious note who in their right mind conducts any form of buisness especially with somebody you dont know via text message (apart from prostitutes) and then afterward you wonder why you have a problem or misunderstanding ffs !!!??? :rayos:

This developer is another gumbo who wants everything for diddly squat. I had one a few weeks back wanted 75m house render on three different substrates. Old render, painted face brick and 3n celcon.
He was telling me that two days 1 guy and material is price he wanted to pay like £500 all in.
I said it is a week for 3 guys plus materials n he was living in a dream world, finally walked from it after telling him to poke his 2 days.

Point is every thing has to be listed in quote/ disclaimers and talked through.
That sounds like a 6k job reskim dec top to bottom materials labour v.a.t

95% of my prices are estimates and most people email back accepting my quote! Terms of payment are on the bottom of page but most dont get that far down, most common question is "Is there VAT to add to this?"

On a serious note who in their right mind conducts any form of buisness especially with somebody you dont know via text message (apart from prostitutes) and then afterward you wonder why you have a problem or misunderstanding ffs !!!??? :rayos:

image.jpeg

Thank you for your replies and opinions.
I am going to talk to him today. He is British and yes I am naive :)
He is a builder and has a team, so I thought different people would be doing different jobs.
I'm paying £3200 for the 2 bed house but its has big ground floor due to the extension. I will check with the £2.60 and see where I am at.

He saw my other properties - both were with magnolia, so I thought he priced with it in mind. I decided to change the colour and planned to add extra depending on the price of the paint.

What's your location, Property Developer? You might think some of the responses are a bit harsh but they are pretty much bang on. It's not personal it's just cutting to the chase. It's a Plasterers Forum and we're all mens men. Post your next development on here. You'll be sure to get a great price and and a great job

Yeah i can go just under the £3200 for a skim and "wash down" coat whatever that is for a small 2 bedroom house.
PM me when you get the next one

two bed house. extension ground floor. where the fcuk does six grand come from? maybe its london? i dont know. if so then then completely different parametres. if its two up two down its probably a small terrace somewhere. if you strung it out you might take two days to a room, small rooms, and three days to a hsl, maybe two days combined for the small kitchen and bathroom. if im charging two hundred a day thats 2600? skimming and a bit of patching? and thats dragging it out. i dunno. maybe ive got too much time on my hands. thats why asked him where the fcuk he was instead of crucifying him

and thats why i said i would match £3000!
you cant flip houses when your paying a plasterer that much to skim out a 2 up 2 down
Suppose its all irrelevant anyways , we know nothing about the house or if any of this exists in real life

two bed house. extension ground floor. where the fcuk does six grand come from? maybe its london? i dont know. if so then then completely different parametres. if its two up two down its probably a small terrace somewhere. if you strung it out you might take two days to a room, small rooms, and three days to a hsl, maybe two days combined for the small kitchen and bathroom. if im charging two hundred a day thats 2600? skimming and a bit of patching? and thats dragging it out. i dunno. maybe ive got too much time on my hands. thats why asked him where the fcuk he was instead of crucifying him

That's fair enough, but then add on materials, then add on the materials and labour for the decorating he was also expecting. Not a chance for £3,200.

Thank you for the additional opinions. I appreciate that some of you gave me an honest and constructive feedback.
I've got the answers I needed. All sorted now.
We understood each other and found a win win solution. Both happy.
I may not be reading further comments and wouldn't be able to reply as the issue is resolved now and no further action needed.

Yeah no chance of being painted for that!
But at the same time (bearing in mind i dont know why a plasterer would mist the walls?) PVA and skim a 2 up 2 down for £3200 is a strange one for someone looking to flip houses.
Dunno what they are paying for a rewire , plumbing , kitchen , bathroom etc but at a guess they are gonna need a miracle mark up on the property , price of £100000 , the plastering is 3% alone!

Yeah no chance of being painted for that!
But at the same time (bearing in mind i dont know why a plasterer would mist the walls?) PVA and skim a 2 up 2 down for £3200 is a strange one for someone looking to flip houses.
Dunno what they are paying for a rewire , plumbing , kitchen , bathroom etc but at a guess they are gonna need a miracle mark up on the property , price of £100000 , the plastering is 3% alone!

Don't forget though, the only bit the buyer will see or be interested in is the plaster and paint.

It does my head in sometimes when you build a paragon of structural steelwork, keep all the beams in the ceiling for a continuous flat ceiling, get the concrete to match the floor level perfectly, tie in blockwork to hide joints, divert the cabling and plumbing etc and no one gives a sh1t. The glory boys come in with their trowels and rolers and it's a fcuking marvel! :llorando: :LOL:

I could say the same about the interior stuff , i remember doing a public bar years ago , panelled ceilings about 20ft up , awkward as feck it was and all the client did was moan about the price.
Flat screen TV rep came in and quoted £10000 for few tvs and he signed there and then no argument or negotiation.
Wrong game we are in

:birras::descansando::birras:When the client starts dictating what they think you should be earning and working out time taken what kind of day rate is reasonable for you its time to bow out.
Do a good job and make a profit on top.
Or knock yer nuts off doing yerself down worrying you charged too much cos some clowns doing it cheaper ,if your looking for basic wage plenty easier games.

Don't forget though, the only bit the buyer will see or be interested in is the plaster and paint.

It does my head in sometimes when you build a paragon of structural steelwork, keep all the beams in the ceiling for a continuous flat ceiling, get the concrete to match the floor level perfectly, tie in blockwork to hide joints, divert the cabling and plumbing etc and no one gives a sh1t. The glory boys come in with their trowels and rolers and it's a fcuking marvel! :llorando: :LOL:
That's why we get paid the least. I would look at it in a different way. We hide the shite brickwork / blockwork that's pissed and covered in snots. Put in missing noggins and float out wrong sized door frames. Square up pissed sockets and centre cables properly. Clip water pipes back properly and then patch up round radiator pipes after the rough plumber who can't measure properly.........;-)

All the builders i know would laugh at you quoting prices like that.
its a 2 up 2 down ,£200 materials and £3000 labour.
Ill not say how long it would take to knock that out in 2+1 but you would be doing all right.

Last input , i reckon both parties were trying it on , OP knows fine well he wasnt getting a paint finish for them prices and plasterer took advantage of the confusion of texting.
One of them live and learn things , pay the guy and move on

i`d say the plasterer is correct, he has quoted what he would do for the money, the developer should of realised or queeried when the wash coat was mentioned.
As for saying theres extras hes quite within his rights, its different then when he quotes, what we dont know is how different and how much hes asking for .
The only thing the plasterer may of done wrong is not to have quoted for all of the decorating, but either a whole house plastered and fully decorated for that price, i`d be seeing alarm bells ringing straight away.

No one can be exact about what's involved in this job. All we know is that it's a two bedroom house, which could be a two up two down, or have a first floor bathroom and nine foot ceilings. It could be a two bed '60s or '70s build with a separate toilet. It's got an extension but no idea on size, and there's an unspecified amount of chases to fill. So it's all guesswork.

No one can be exact about what's involved in this job. All we know is that it's a two bedroom house, which could be a two up two down, or have a first floor bathroom and nine foot ceilings. It could be a two bed '60s or '70s build with a separate toilet. It's got an extension but no idea on size, and there's an unspecified amount of chases to fill. So it's all guesswork.

thank f**k for some commensense at last @ imago!!!!

makes my blood boil when everyone starts going on about how long a job that they have never seen is going to take and cost in materials etc etc etc!!!!

its this sort of internet chat bollox that screws peoples perception on what they should be paying people and makes it a bloody internet pricing play off F*****g lottery!!!!

The text to me would imply painting to a finished standard as I get a lot like that and sub the painting out or do myself if not busy. The price he quoted clearly is for only skimming, for him to give it two coats is a bonus and you've won a watch. Learn from this in future and go into more detail in future.

Thank you for the additional opinions. I appreciate that some of you gave me an honest and constructive feedback.
I've got the answers I needed. All sorted now.
We understood each other and found a win win solution. Both happy.
I may not be reading further comments and wouldn't be able to reply as the issue is resolved now and no further action needed.

Please leave me alone, I've had enough - if you post any more I'm gonna pretend not to read it.

So excuse me for being dense but what's the Bobby Moore on the two mist coats? I get the why behind the first coat? Why the second?

I ask as if I'm generally getting my hands dirty, the second coat will be the final paint coat and whether that get's a second coat depends on whether it needs it (cheap paint).

Status
Not open for further replies.