Minimum depth ??

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick one guys - I have been asked by a potential customer whether building regs specify a minimum depth of flooor screed for a garage conversion ?

I told the guy it would need to be around 75mm deep but if I could get away with 50 then obviously the cost would be slightly less.

Also, as its a garage conversion are there any regs governing whether or not the walls need to be firecheck board ?

Cheers

Cheers guys, its being converted into a lounge if that makes any difference with the 'possibility' of a dwellling above it later on down the line, hence firecheck boards for the ceiling

It should be all detailed on the drawings when they get put through for planning (which is where this conversion should proberbly go). all I know is that if you get it wrong by guessing ;), it can bite you on the arse, and cause you a whole lot of grief at a later date.

they will probably opt for underfloor heating so take this into account as it may add another 35mm to finished floor height...

ajplastering said:
You dont need planning permission to change integral garage into living space but you do need building regs.

Planning rules seem to change every 5 fu*kin minutes these days.

do loads of garage conversions just phone up the planning office with the postcode and they will tell you straight away if it needs planning as regards firecheck boards they are not usually required as it becoming part of the house and not a garage anymore

Is the garage attached to the house or detached?
is it single brick on some walls also?
Is there only oneentrance/ exit or 2 ?
Ring local planning office they can tell you all info needed,once they got ur blue print in front of them.

It doesnt matter where in the country you live as national planning guidance is england wide. Permitted development rights were relaxed/extended in october 2009 to remove the need for planning permission for minor development on private houses.

ajplastering said:
It doesnt matter where in the country you live as national planning guidance is england wide. Permitted development rights were relaxed/extended in october 2009 to remove the need for planning permission for minor development on private houses.

It can differ from one PO to another depending how THEY want to interprete things, some towns are more relaxed than others, also if you live in a conservation area its different again, changing the look of your house from the rest on your street can be a planning issue also if you are removing a garage depending on the type of house you have you may be causing parking problems which again can come down to planning.

PS Should have mentioned if in a conservation area or a listed building you will need planning - any other house with integral garage you dont, providing no covenants are on it

You dont need to apply for building regs you can do it on building notice and just arrange a meeting with the BI and he will tell you what he wants saves on the cost of a drawing, the last couple i have done firecheck on the ceiling and insulation board on the walls were required.

Status
Not open for further replies.