Micro, plastprime x and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigsby

TPF Special Forces
My work is usually refurb, typically re-render on clay brick. Usually two coat like rend-aid and ocr for example.

Anyway, last November I did a Parex Mono job and the rep told me to Micro Gobetis it (refurb, clay brick) and mono with mesh embedded.

Simple enough as the walls was only 1.6m high all round. But lately done a Granicem L job 7mm C+G (their base coat) and 8mm granicem L and on scraping back the odd snot on a scratch surfaces. Damn! Ivory with the odd little grey spot!

So i have got to thinking about Micro or who evers? Paint this stuff on then two passes with mesh in between. The plus side is speed and ease of micro etc application. The negative is the panic on the bigger walls of one pass, bed mesh, then second pass while wet. Might sound simple but my spread will only spray, i have to rule, mesh, then rule, fill in slumps under soffits and sills then spat and keep up the the sprayer.

But this is not my main concern, it is the Micro etc. i have rung Parex, Soverein, SAS and have only been told it is ideal for porous backgrounds and for suction control. Fine. But when I ask how the material sticks they cannot answer that question, they come back to it is for suction control.

So does anyone know how 15mm of render sticks to the likes of Micro etc?

Rendabond states it has grit in it to aid adhesion. But these little bits of grit sticking out of the surface doesn't seem enough to me.

So anyone know what makes render stick to it because the reps don't know!

Alreet rigsby. It's my understanding that there's a bit more to the bagged renders than meets the eye. There's binders, adhesives, etc plus the usual sand cement lime. It's these binders and such that take hold of micro and the likes. Or at least that's what I'm told by a boffin. All I know is micro sticks like **** to a blanket and not had any fail as yet ...he says touching wood:-0

I said it before on here. I like micro as an equaliser or as a freshen up after hack off but I always prefer a cement based slurry or pre rend over closed smooth backgrounds such as engineering brick..

I have had mono slide off micro onto smooth backings because there is simply no grab and the suction completely killed. Plus when you paint micro to a smooth flat surface you tend to get alot of product coverage rather than with a rough open background where the micro is harder to cover.

On a rough backing micro will cover slightly less and you will get some through suction

Been said before rigs check some my old posts reasons why and when micro is brilliant.....or not

I'm sure on the parex bags it states to add micro to your mix for the first pass on concrete / smooth backgrounds (and mesh of course) then 24 hours later a second pass (top coat no thicker than your initial first coat) :RpS_confused:

Damn it!!! I've admitted reading the instructions!!! :RpS_blushing:

Sorry lads :-(

I'm sure on the parex bags it states to add micro to your mix for the first pass on concrete / smooth backgrounds (and mesh of course) then 24 hours later a second pass (top coat no thicker than your initial first coat) :RpS_confused:

Damn it!!! I've admitted reading the instructions!!! :RpS_blushing:

Sorry lads :-(
Probably add Lanko not micro.

Lanko does the trick. Rendered miles of smooth concrete with lanko added in a one coat process using parmurex.

Status
Not open for further replies.