Mf stud walls, can they take the (terry) weight?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avernon

Hi guys, first post...
about to partition off a few en-suites in a conversion and I'm concerned about heavy toilet frames, sinks etc going in. It's all high spec (and heavy) kit and was wondering if plating with ply is the norm? In which case would track screwed through ceilings into joists with drywall screws be sufficient too?

I would definatley ply line your partitions before plasterboarding or at very least put in ply patrices where toilets/sinks ect are to be fitted, track fitted to joists should be ok, you can alway use larger timber fixings/screws if your concerned of drywall screws not being strong enough

Thanks. 'Project manager' has also specified double layer of 12.5mm soundshield per side...but no mention of any acoustic mf systems. Is this a bit overkill for a domestic application? The project manager is an interior designer...

Hi guys, first post...
about to partition off a few en-suites in a conversion and I'm concerned about heavy toilet frames, sinks etc going in. It's all high spec (and heavy) kit and was wondering if plating with ply is the norm? In which case would track screwed through ceilings into joists with drywall screws be sufficient too?

If your concerned why not upgrade to a I stud and then plywood

Interior designers can be a bit up their own arse and come out with all sorts of stuff. They've specced 2 inches of soundblock? No mention of moisture resist? (Green boards). Usual for bathrooms is stud with insulation and 1/2" board. Been on a job lately where they've used 15mm soundblock/moisture combined boards. They are bloody heavy (41kg each).

Thanks. 'Project manager' has also specified double layer of 12.5mm soundshield per side...but no mention of any acoustic mf systems. Is this a bit overkill for a domestic application? The project manager is an interior designer...
if thats what they are paying for thats what they want

if thats what they are paying for thats what they want
I guess if they hired an interior designer as a project manager then the clients will know they'll have to shell out.
doubling up on board isn't too bad thinking about it - some regs want a double layer of fireline on ceilings (and they weigh a bit too). If they aren't having ply then I hope there's noggins in all the right places to fix to.

Thanks for the input guys, job all but finished now and turned out designer was making most of it up as she went along. Ply lined where radiators/sinks were to be hung and all is well. Common sense I suppose. Opted for aquapanel in bathrooms.

we done a fire damaged on recently, spec wanted treble fire board on party and external walls, 275 boards in one flat, great earner....

Status
Not open for further replies.