Mf ceilings

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heafy

I've just started a job where all the ceilings and Walls are the metal frame system. I have no problems erecting the walls as I've had loads of experience doin them, it's just the ceilings are taking me slot longer than expected. I've gone out and bought a Bosch laser level which projects the beam all around the room to work to. The ceilings are hanging 2 foot off the original ceiling as they are pretty high rooms, so I cut a load of hangers about 5'' longer than they should be and cut off the excess after the top rails been put in levelled up, but as you can see this is very time consuming.
I was just wondering how some of you guys go about hanging your ceilings and what's the best order to put them up

Fix your perimiter first then your hangers leaving them long like your doing, then fix your strengtheners using your level hangin off the perimiter and just snip your hangers and fold them up, then fix your tophat.

flynnyman said:
Fix your perimiter first then your hangers leaving them long like your doing, then fix your strengtheners using your level hangin off the perimiter and just snip your hangers and fold them up, then fix your tophat.
Tophat being the metal you fix the boards to, also I've struggling with the furring clips wots the best way to clip them on, I've been squeezing the metal but it takes it out on your hands after a while.

richardbrown said:
yeah the top hat is the section you fix the boards to and get some gloves you wimp :)
Is this the only way to do it though, theres no special little tool out there that would make life a little easier is there

heafy said:
flynnyman said:
Tophat being the metal you fix the boards to, also I've struggling with the furring clips wots the best way to clip them on, I've been squeezing the metal but it takes it out on your hands after a while.

get a six inch nail and put it in the tiny circle on the clips and pull it, i prefer wafer head screws or like rich says get some gloves.

Exactly the same as normal mate. Get a level round the room. Start from the highest point. Then mark out your centres. Once your nearly half way round place up a straight brace to connect them. Once the rest is in smash through and attach hangers. Then board. I prefer screwing them instead of crimps coz I dont trust em plus crimps are really expensive. Sorry if this seems simple but Im quite drunk ;)

Bruce Willis said:
Exactly the same as normal mate. Get a level round the room. Start from the highest point. Then mark out your centres. Once your nearly half way round place up a straight brace to connect them. Once the rest is in smash through and attach hangers. Then board. I prefer screwing them instead of crimps coz I dont trust em plus crimps are really expensive. Sorry if this seems simple but Im quite drunk ;)

you must be drunk usin crimps on an MF ceiling :)

Bruce Willis said:
My mates just fought 2 sets of refina crimps for £52, can't go wrong at that price, I paid £50 for 1 set a couple of years ago

flynnyman said:
Bruce Willis said:

you must be drunk usin crimps on an MF ceiling :)
Told ya ;) bloody magners

when your doing the clips use a piece of hanger with one side cut back at 45 deg put the uncut side under the clipand lever up onto the tophat its really quick and painless

One more quickie, wots the names of all the different parts then cos I'm sick of goin to travis's and askin for the thingy that sits in the thingy, or the thingy that clips the thingy to the thingy. So far I've got hangers which is the L shape, tophat, fitting clips, wafer head screws, wots the piece that runs adjacent to the tophat and wots the piece that runs around the perimiter called so I don't look like a doke in the builders merchants, cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.