Meeting and saying hello

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

john simpson

42 year old plasterer , been out of the game full time for about 8 years and found this site when trying to get up to speed with with current prices etc.
It appears not much has changed :)
And it hasn't got any easier!

Looks a great forum , so hello all

Hows it going Homer J ??
images (40).jpg

Thanks all.
Any tips for starting back?
Going to work primarily direct to clients , have spent the past few years slowly building up my name and it seems to be getting fairly busy again , happy to work 2/3 days a week private as it kinda equals out moneywise with no hassle.(have another couple of PT jobs none at the BBC sadly)
Charging a day rate , anything from £80-£180. although mostly £100 a day flat.
Keeping it simple , covering artex , skimming rooms , external extensions and a load of bathroom/kitchen preps.
Money in the system when everyone is getting new bathrooms and kitchens.
No labourer but find it tough enough at times , esp lifting everything up and getting water and final cleaning but only doing 2/3 lifts of skim a day so not that bad.
Materials have improved , the thistle finish cuts lovely and has a nice set time for large rooms, the ultrafinish is great for going off a bit quicker. Same with the bonding , spreads easier and has a fairly consistent set time.
All in all , happy days , was finished with plastering and did something else for years but enjoying being back.
Had one run in with a builder and crap rates and holding back money but keeping well away from them and happy to be back!
Anything else i've missed? do we have unions now? set rates? job security?

oh and another question i remembered!
Does the new finish that doesnt need unibond work? i cant imagine it does , surely a porous wall sucks all the water out?
Also PVA still ok? everyone seems to use that blue stuff with grit in it , but it was wild dear and i found you needed to work to flat walls as the aggregate didnt allow a light coat in places with uneven surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.