Matching a finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren

I've spent the better part of the day researching different manufacturers and availible cement colors and possible silica aggregate manufacturers. I am going to need to match the existing finish on quite a few garden retainer walls at a really high end house. I haven't been out to bid on the work yet but they sent me pictures of the finish that I need to match. Just wondering, since we have this great forum if there are any of you that might have a different approach to getting this finish right.

Attachments

• IMG_1705-2.jpg
    IMG_1705-2.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 479
the photo looks like bush hammered concrete to me.
i would shutter up the walls, pour concrete when set drop shuttering and then bush hammer the surface to expose the aggregate. a slow job.
a bush hammer is sometimes called a needle gun.

That might work well if the finish wasn't veneered over existing concrete. Now I know what a bush hammer / needle gun is.

Also looks like a colour render with crushed marble or aggregate but troweled into the render after being thrown.

Im pretty sure that the aggregate was mixed into the finish. I've been thinking that as long as I can get the color to reasonably match and also the coloration of the aggregate close, if I add some acrylic (Acryl 60) I can trowel the mix (white cement , lime, aggregate, color) on and come back the next day and rub it down with a rubbing brick.
http://www.axner.com/rubbing-brick-with-handle.aspx

Im pretty sure that the aggregate was mixed into the finish. I've been thinking that as long as I can get the color to reasonably match and also the coloration of the aggregate close, if I add some acrylic (Acryl 60) I can trowel the mix (white cement , lime, aggregate, color) on and come back the next day and rub it down with a rubbing brick.
http://www.axner.com/rubbing-brick-with-handle.aspx

it is a hell of a job to spread aggregate on a wall.
if you dashed the wall as j green said then press the stone into the mortar with a trowel at least the aggregate would be on the surface of the render.

if you dashed the wall as j green said then press the stone into the mortar with a trowel at least the aggregate would be on the surface of the render.

That just might be on the list when I do some samples, I'm a bit worried that I might not have time to work it before I have some dry spots that won't take the aggregate, and there are a lot of chamfered corners that I have to consider, but if I do those after the walls setup it might still be okay.

Also I'm pretty sure that the aggregates aren't any larger than 20/30.

Il try to find it later but I watched a video of some Chinese people using mortar and coloured aggregate,when it was on it just looked like a s&c render but they turned back before it was set and with a sponge wiped the surface which took away the s&c and left the tops of the coloured aggregate showing.

The Mineralite finish has a mix thats' real close to my sample too. They want you to acid wash everything on the last go through. My bid is going to specify that most of the plants need to be removed & relocated while I'm redoing their walls, There will still be a lot of landscaping plants in the vicinity of my work and I'm not sure how they will take to the acid washing.

Status
Not open for further replies.