match texture in 1950s florida interior veneer plaster

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcremodeling

Hey,

Anybody want to share how to do this? Its veneer plaster, walls and ceiling. Is it skipped or is is somehow dabbed on and then knocked down? I see a lot that looks just like this in Tampa bay area.
When I do skip trowel, it comes out looking more angular and sharp, where this is softer looking.
Can I do this with joint compound, Diamond veneeer plaster, or something else??
As in the first picture, sometimes int looks like it is in "rows" . I am very curious how to do this, it would help on some of my remodeling jobs to know how to do it.Any advice appreciated. John
1544 77th texture.jpg 1544 tex 4.jpg 1544 texture 2.jpg 1544 texture 3.jpg

Put it on thick then go over with a roller to create a stipple then go over it with a soft roller to flatten out the stipples which will give you that pitted effect or maybe go over with a trowel then a roller to soften it :)

we call that a laced finish. apply with a trowel,or a brush, load the brush and do not make the stroke to long you do not want to apply like paint. then go over it with a roller in the downward direction on walls, then flatern or lace the pattern with a piece of plastic.

@Loren who is seattle based and a member here may also be able to offer you some advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can do a skip trowel over a base coat with a veneer finish to get a texture that looks close to the pictures. But if I'm matching a texture that has previously been painted I'll match the texture with all purpose mud let it sit for a day or two and then come back over the texture with a good wet sponge, I keep a bucket of water and a bucket of all purpose mud that has a lot of water added to it close by I keep the sponge loaded with a slurry of wet all purpose and give the walls a rub down until the textures match the existing painted texture. Here's some other textures for any body that might be interested ... TSIB / Technical Services and Information Bureau | Plaster Textures

Status
Not open for further replies.