Making moulds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewisvine1989

Hi people I'm setting up a workbench I'm my garage to make running and revers moulds which I can make myself out of zinc plated, but how would the best way to melt silicon rubber blocks to make celling Rosie's and decretive leaves ect. Thanks

Might be best not to use the missus's best pans to do it though them women get very protective about thier pans!

Flynnyman shall I use non stick

Maybe do it like you were melting chocolate on a plate above a bowl of water but thinking about it im sure it neeeds to get very hot, i vagualy remember doing it in college and they had a proper machine for it to heat it.

Flynnyman you have food on the brain:) yes that's it I'm trying to find the name of the machine but can't seen to find what I'm looking for.

use Rtv silicone rubber.or look on ebay some one is selling moulds for ceiling roses mad with Rtv.they look very good.paul

I have read the advice given here with regard to vinamould.
Flynnman as a moderator you should not be giving out information that is in correct and actually dangerous.
Please be aware melting vinamould gives off toxic fumes and should only be carried out in a melting pot that does not have direct contact with the rubber (one encased in an oil blanket ( £400 - £1200 appox on the market) in a properly ventilated room. It can flash over at anytime causing a major fire if cooked on a stove.
For the person that does not have the kit silicone moulding is the best alternative for enriched moulds. Made and treated properly these will last for years. There are many grades of hardness for silicone so it would pay to talk to a supplier before you buy.Be careful of people selling cheap online the material can be doctored to make it seem cheaper. ou can contact me if you require information on fibrous work at any time as I am now retired after 55 years in the plastering game

I have read the advice given here with regard to vinamould.
Flynnman as a moderator you should not be giving out information that is in correct and actually dangerous.
Please be aware melting vinamould gives off toxic fumes and should only be carried out in a melting pot that does not have direct contact with the rubber (one encased in an oil blanket ( £400 - £1200 appox on the market) in a properly ventilated room. It can flash over at anytime causing a major fire if cooked on a stove.
For the person that does not have the kit silicone moulding is the best alternative for enriched moulds. Made and treated properly these will last for years. There are many grades of hardness for silicone so it would pay to talk to a supplier before you buy.Be careful of people selling cheap online the material can be doctored to make it seem cheaper. ou can contact me if you require information on fibrous work at any time as I am now retired after 55 years in the plastering game

amen to that, if your using vinyl, use a hot melt

You can use a microwave. Cut up vinamould in2 small pieces and fill a casserole bowl. Our melter in workshop had died so we tried this and it workd. Its actually better when u just have 1enrichment to pour the rubber melts in bout 15mins. Just dont expect to use micro 4 food again!

Status
Not open for further replies.