M2 price or day rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tined82

Hi guys i have a board n skim job that I'm pricing at the moment. Just not sure what will work out best price wise. We've just done all the external work with k rend wp and he was really impressed with how we worked etc. He's keen to get a price off me where as I was thinking of offering him a day rate. Should I put a m2 price in and bang it out? I think he thinks it won't take long to do but I think it is 4 weeks work. With a number of steels to fireboard etc. Opinions and advice would be much appreciated cheers.

Personally I'm reluctant to give people rates, measure it or work out a time frame and give them a block price. If you tell him x per metre they might come back and say they have seen some numpty on face book or elsewhere discussing rates. That is why it is frowned upon on here to discuss rates, it can be misleading to the client. Don't rush your price, take your time so you don't miss anything

Personally I'm reluctant to give people rates, measure it or work out a time frame and give them a block price. If you tell him x per metre they might come back and say they have seen some numpty on face book or elsewhere discussing rates. That is why it is frowned upon on here to discuss rates, it can be misleading to the client. Don't rush your price, take your time so you don't miss anything

Cheers that sounds like good advice. Should I allow a couple of days extra into price in case it takes longer?

Cheers that sounds like good advice. Should I allow a couple of days extra into price in case it takes longer?
Hard to say without seeing the job, sounds like you've got a good chance of getting the job having done the outside so I would be tempted to put a good price in if it was me.

Whats stopping you putting in a price?

Give block price of 4weeks then.

If you finish early great. If you finish earlier than 4weeks on dayrate you lose

Give a block price. Do it well.do it quick. He's already happy with your work so you should be able to get a decent price of him. M2 prices when given can be used against you especially if he listens to pub talk .ie poles work for x amount per m2

Doesn't that contradict day work giving a time scale is the same as giving a price...?

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Always got to cover your self on price , if its day rate it doesnt really matter if it takes a extra day or 2 you still get paid , you should always have a little leeway in your price , if they say its a touch more than if worked out at day rate say for the 4 weeks , just say yes but this is a fixed price, if it only took 3 and a half weeks day rate they would win it could take longer than expected .... Most people apart from builders etc dont want day rate as they think you will drag out the job :)

Always got to cover your self on price , if its day rate it doesnt really matter if it takes a extra day or 2 you still get paid , you should always have a little leeway in your price , if they say its a touch more than if worked out at day rate say for the 4 weeks , just say yes but this is a fixed price, if it only took 3 and a half weeks day rate they would win it could take longer than expected .... Most people apart from builders etc dont want day rate as they think you will drag out the job :)

Exactly bud, so that's why I prefer block prices..

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

most business types will want a figure off you to work with , maybe just to know how much they are paying out or maybe a price to shop around with, hard to tell , but if he is happy with you the job should be yours , id say go with what your comfortable with , he should get a top job for his loyalty and you should earn more than a day rate , personally i would stick it on a decent day rate and skim it on a price , best of luck anyway .

Thanks for comments & tips. I thinking il be banging a decent price in. Ive just worked it out to be nearly 1000m2 here's a quick glimpse

Attachments

• 1389374819949.jpg
    1389374819949.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 323
  • 1389374920700.jpg
    1389374920700.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 1389374982042.jpg
    1389374982042.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 314
  • 1389375055559.jpg
    1389375055559.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 341
  • 1389375114987.jpg
    1389375114987.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 344
How many m2 are you talking about? Personally find both parties know where they stand with a price agreed before hand.

Just give him a price marra, if you reckon there's about 4 weeks work and he's obviously happy with your other work price it for 5 weeks to cover yourself and you wont go far wrong. It's the bottom line he's interested in and if you go for day work he's gonna ask how long do you reckon it'll take anyhow, cos he wants the bottom line figure. Hate day-work, love prices :RpS_thumbup:

Just give him a price marra, if you reckon there's about 4 weeks work and he's obviously happy with your other work price it for 5 weeks to cover yourself and you wont go far wrong. It's the bottom line he's interested in and if you go for day work he's gonna ask how long do you reckon it'll take anyhow, cos he wants the bottom line figure. Hate day-work, love prices :RpS_thumbup:

Thanks mate just don't wanna frighten him Haha.

I don't think you will. Weigh it up like this.
He's happy with your exterior work so he's not too worried about your rate, he's got CONFIDENCE in your abilities so you've won.
Pricing it up at 5 weeks is giving you 20% leeway and a chance to make a bit :RpS_thumbup:

i would give a block price. work out the m square price, work out how long on day work. plus a profit, be carefull in case he comes up with a cash deal and want a rebate.
we only do supply and fit so that you can make some money out of the materials, plus it makes it harder for the customer to work your earnings out.

Looks like a nice job there, i personaly like to do new biulds on meterage simply because i know i can earn big bucks in a short space of time, but if you want you could work out the meterage and then how long you think it will take you and split the price, best of both worlds both ways,i reckon youve already got it so stick your price in.

Looks like a nice job there, i personaly like to do new biulds on meterage simply because i know i can earn big bucks in a short space of time, but if you want you could work out the meterage and then how long you think it will take you and split the price, best of both worlds both ways,i reckon youve already got it so stick your price in.

Cheers matey thatsvnot a bad idea I'll bare that one in mind.

I find that even when you agree dayworks with most people they still ultimately want a price, as in X amount of £'s per day, times the number of anticipated days to do the job = price. Few people will accept a daywork figure and let you keep turning up till their money runs out. I would always put a meterage price in on new work and build a little fat into the price to cover any unforseens.

Do you know the other trades, have they all been well organised in such a way that you will be able to crack on with no hold ups? That would determine wether I would price or day rate. it doesn't look very tidy to me.

Hi guys i have a board n skim job that I'm pricing at the moment. Just not sure what will work out best price wise. We've just done all the external work with k rend wp and he was really impressed with how we worked etc. He's keen to get a price off me where as I was thinking of offering him a day rate. Should I put a m2 price in and bang it out? I think he thinks it won't take long to do but I think it is 4 weeks work. With a number of steels to fireboard etc. Opinions and advice would be much appreciated cheers.
Roughly work out how many square metre's you/team can do a day. Divide that by how many metres there are on his project.
And if it would take you a lot longer than his expected four weeks, then give him a price not dayrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.