LW1 render advice needed!

Oxford

Evening fellow plasterer' s,

I am looking for product advise for using LW1 render onto a 100 insulation.

I have done plenty of K1 work onto block work before but I haven't ever worked onto insulation board. I was hoping some of you might be able to shed some light on the materials behavier?

Thanks for you help.

I have been spec-ed LW1 onto 50mm mineral board. Starting next week.
I’ll let you know how it goes. Hoping this time of year it’ll be scratch next day. But unsure what the suction will be like off insulation board??

I have been spec-ed LW1 onto 50mm mineral board. Starting next week.
I’ll let you know how it goes. Hoping this time of year it’ll be scratch next day. But unsure what the suction will be like off insulation board??

I'm also starting my job next week!
Are you working to 12mm beads, and doing a two pass system with mesh? I am also planning a next day scratch, but I am a bit concerned about how the insulation with pull the gear in eeeekkk! Lol

I'm also starting my job next week!
Are you working to 12mm beads, and doing a two pass system with mesh? I am also planning a next day scratch, but I am a bit concerned about how the insulation with pull the gear in eeeekkk! Lol
Yeah that’s the plan! 12mm beads.
Spay 6-8mm, mesh, then another pass. Scratch next day hopefully!
It’s on a fire station so walls only 2.5m high. So way on to start. You using the Rockwool mineral board?

Yeah that’s the plan! 12mm beads.
Spay 6-8mm, mesh, then another pass. Scratch next day hopefully!
It’s on a fire station so walls only 2.5m high. So way on to start. You using the Rockwool mineral board?

I was also working onto mineral board. How did you find it went on? I was hand applying, and I found it hard work and unpredictable.

I am laying some on tomorrow, I will give my feedback over the weekend
It will good to hear what you think of the material. I'll be finishing my job this week. The builder maid it a nightmare for me as he stuck the beads up, and he used 10mm beads!!! It maid life hard.

K Rend LW1 .
Small area 5m2. Applied over EPS.
Temperature 6c
Materials mixed well and consistent and very light.
Allowed material to set for 5 minutes and remixed for 5 mins.
Laid on 6mm and used 4 foot serrated Darby .
Laid in a scrim.
Allowed first pass to pick up (maybe 1hour).
Applied 2nd pass 3mm over 10mm beads Beads were laid onto 2/3mm of LW1 .total thickness 15/16mm
Scratched off at 10.30am next morning .

K Rend LW1 .
Small area 5m2. Applied over EPS.
Temperature 6c
Materials mixed well and consistent and very light.
Allowed material to set for 5 minutes and remixed for 5 mins.
Laid on 6mm and used 4 foot serrated Darby .
Laid in a scrim.
Allowed first pass to pick up (maybe 1hour).
Applied 2nd pass 3mm over 10mm beads Beads were laid onto 2/3mm of LW1 .total thickness 15/16mm
Scratched off at 10.30am next morning .
Thanks for your review on the LW1, and by the sounds of it you uses it to great success!?

I do believe it's not a bad product, but the circumstances in which I was using it, and my lack of experience of using bagged renders made it hard work! If I am to use it again I'll use 15mm beads, first pass at 6mm then bed mesh, and then do another pass at 11mm, I think this will make life easier?

I was also working onto mineral board. How did you find it went on? I was hand applying, and I found it hard work and unpredictable.
Finally finished the job last week before all this weather!
LW1 I can say is not my product of choice!
Found it very silvery if that makes sense? Wouldn’t close in with a spat.
Got a decent finish but think I still trust and prefer thin coat systems.

Not sure about pewter grey!
But the customer is always right!

Attachments

• A0063B54-D61A-4E4B-8804-9FB3DC4FD66B.jpeg
    A0063B54-D61A-4E4B-8804-9FB3DC4FD66B.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 517
  • C74516DF-3BB7-47F1-BA98-40092476A4A0.jpeg
    C74516DF-3BB7-47F1-BA98-40092476A4A0.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,097
  • 08467F4A-4C67-4552-8247-7AB41CE2934A.jpeg
    08467F4A-4C67-4552-8247-7AB41CE2934A.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 485
Looks good from here, did you mean silvery or slippery in your assessment,also I see you used Rockwool board was it Dual density or low density.
Cheers

It looks like you got a good finish with the product. I bet you had to work hard to get it! Do you think it would be easier working to 15mm beads? Also do you find it skins up badly?
I found the 12mm beads ok to work out to, not sure I’d want to put it on much thicker. Took a good hour to stiffen ready for the next coat!
Scratched up nice though. But took a good 12 - 16hrs to be ready. This time of year.
Finish was ok, but don’t like doing dark colours and grey just looks unpainted sand and cement!

I have just done another small job using LW1 used 10mm beads , 4 to 5 mum serrated scrim coat and them second pass 3mm over the beads.
Again it was 15 hours later when I put the I bar over it, temp was around 6 .
The material mixed well and I thought it was easy to apply.
This was applied to EPS.