Looking to change career

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattb8

Hi all I'm 23 I'm working as a steel fixer at the moment and not particularly enjoying it I once done a few weeks plastering with a friend and really enjoyed just wondering what you guys think of trying to pursue this as a career now thanks

If you make the change, be sure to go with a spread who has a 'real' reputation for good practice and competence.
Too many #Cowboys floating around, so choose wisely :)

alright mate,, semi retired at 23:-0 i must be going wrong ssomewhere, i should have been a steel fixer:RpS_biggrin:

Steel fixing can be good money but i don't thibk it's the job for me really I've met a lot of good blokes for it and get to work away sometimes which is all a bonus but just not that enjoyable

My advice is be prepared to have to learn a lot if you want to make decent money.

if your happy to drive all over UK, work on site for £2-£3pm2 working like a dog, freezing cold fighting with site foremen about H&S and then fighting for your money, you'll Be ok with just skimming under your belt

you get out what you put in and every man and his dog are skimmers now.

the major battle on the domestic side are handymen, Jack of alls who can board and re-skim who are taking work from proper plastering outfits.

credit where credit is due iv seen some of these guys work and some aren't too bad, but obviously it brings the price down the more peopel that do it.

there is good money in rendering but I can see that being flooded in the next 5 years

My advice is be prepared to have to learn a lot if you want to make decent money.

if your happy to drive all over UK, work on site for £2-£3pm2 working like a dog, freezing cold fighting with site foremen about H&S and then fighting for your money, you'll Be ok with just skimming under your belt

you get out what you put in and every man and his dog are skimmers now.

the major battle on the domestic side are handymen, Jack of alls who can board and re-skim who are taking work from proper plastering outfits.

credit where credit is due iv seen some of these guys work and some aren't too bad, but obviously it brings the price down the more peopel that do it.

there is good money in rendering but I can see that being flooded in the next 5 years

Think i agree with you there

Status
Not open for further replies.