looking to become a plasterer

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

caddyplasterman

Hello everyone Toby here, brand new to this forum. Looking for some advice on becoming a plasterer I am willing to work hard and earn a good honest living to support my little girl. I have been considering doing a 6 week course with GOLDTROWEL in Essex, I appreciate it takes more then 6 weeks to become a good spread but it seems the only way I can gain access to learning the basics of this trade ideally I would do the course and try gain some employment with a time served plasterer and do some labouring and soak up what I can. I am a bit apprehensive about doing the course as I am using some inheritance my dad left me and don't want to waste it, I am in a position thankfully where I could buy myself a van and tools and pay the £2300 for the course but its a decision I need to get right. I currently have a job building engines for McLaren its not a bad pay but I need something for life I can always fall back on and pay the bills this is something that will most likely end one day and I'll be back to crappy minimum wage factory jobs. Any advice would be appreciated on the course and if its worth doing. Just want to add I admire the real quality plasterers out there Im not a chancer just want a change and plastering seems something I would put my heart and soul into,I liked to graft its what makes me feel like I am serving a purpose In life for the people I need to provide for. Thanks for reading :)

Good luck to you mate with the course, but I would say if you build engines for McLaren for a living that must be a pretty satisfying job

i feel that you are wasting your money, keep your inheritance .
as an apprentice plasterer it will take you 3 years before you can cover your wages, as a labourer even longer. the success rate from course must be about 1000 to 1. we hear these stories every week on this forum, how they are going to find work with a timed served plasterer, i have not trained an apprentice for 27 years and do not want to.

Plenty of busy spreads out there but you will have to accept youd be starting at bottom,and this would be reflective in your pay. You would need to be on the ball ie attentive passing tools before they are asked for and cleaning and prep at speed. Plastering is not a game that waits about while you figure out whats needed. So be prepared to move like a whippet be shouted at when not on the ball and learn any skills slowly as there is generally little time to show anyone anything , if attentive you will pick up lots by observing and if hunger for the job and all shoite goes with it are Punctual , trustworthy and slightly nuts you may find someone give you a chance. Unfortunately few are up to it as they dont have the mindset stamina or balls , good luck if you do :fuckyou:

I think a course like that is a waste of money.The best route is to get in with someone who's at it 30 or 40 years,and don't expect to be using a trowel for a while.The harder they are on you the better.Money can't buy training like that.

£2300. I'm not having that. Is this another pisstake thread?!
Builds engines for McLaren, and won't find another good job in that line of work?
Somebody's fishing.

£2300. I'm not having that. Is this another pisstake thread?!
Builds engines for McLaren, and won't find another good job in that line of work?
Somebody's fishing.
Straight up mate I only get £10.00 ph it's not bad but it's not great it's factory production work and it probably won't last forever. And with regards to the course for 6 weeks it's around £2300 check it out for your self.

Can we Job swap? Quite fancy a day messing about with mclaren engines... :) got any inside news gossips photos video? I could put them to use :) :)

On a serious note... do what you need to do... it's a long slog plastering and hard dusty graft... if you are going down the course route then you cannot beat gt but that is only the beginning. ..

Cannot beat gold trowel, £2300!!

Couldn't have put it any better than Clemo.

Get with a GOOD spread, then subsidise your low income with your £2300.

The hardest part is finding a good plasterer and then getting them to take you on...

You need to sit down and think if you like the trade... get a few weekends under your belt before committing... or go and see them at gt first have a look around...

You need to be certain that plastering is for you...

Don't know why am asking this. But just out of interest. After 6 weeks what do u achieve.

Technique... methods.... materials....

I would quite happily say in 6 weeks at gt you put more on than you would in 3 years at college...

It gives the basics to build on....

2300 to do the course. Then your down 6 weeks wages doing it let's say u take home 350 a week Thats £4400

Near me then :) @northyskim might be able to help out... maybe @Wezly is on the hayling island... once you have decided that plastering is for you then make the decision which route you want to take to achieve it...
Thanks mate I'm going to chew it over plastering is something I've thought about doing for a long time it's just getting out my comfort zone and taking the leap, If you ever need anyone to labour I would happily do it for free to get the experience

Thanks mate I'm going to chew it over plastering is something I've thought about doing for a long time it's just getting out my comfort zone and taking the leap, If you ever need anyone to labour I would happily do it for free to get the experience

Haha I am not on the tools anymore :) i spend my days sat in front of screens now :) but thanks :)

Danny has brains that is why he is off the tools;)

Haha I really don't. .. but thanks for the compliment :) i still am very involved with the industry though :) was in a cracking meeting today about some new plaster that I think is brilliant :) so not totally free of the trowel :)

Haha I really don't. .. but thanks for the compliment :) i still am very involved with the industry though :) was in a cracking meeting today about some new plaster that I think is brilliant :) so not totally free of the trowel :)
Can u name the company that makes it ☺

There is a whole business opportunity around this product and it's not often I get excited by something but I have been chomping at the bit for this...

In 2 weeks I think I will be given the all clear to talk openly about it....

Really smart concept... that solves a problem :)

@caddyplasterman I'm in the same position as you, I have booked the course and start next month took me months to pluck up the courage and make the jump, I went down and saw the guys at gold trowel and they are a good bunch of lads and I believe if anybody can help me they can. It's not gonna be easy I accept that but I realise I'm doing it to make a better life for myself. What I have learnt is no matter what negative or positive things people say go and see the gt people and make your own decision! If you want it enough it will happen! Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.