Looking for work with a spread

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmons84

Hi, I've not long completed a 4 day course to learn the basics of plastering. Now I'm looking to learn the trade. I would like to find a spread that is willing to take me on so I can start to work towards my nvq qualification. I'm 30 years old and live in Brierley Hill/Dudley. I also drive so travelling isn't a problem.

How's it going pal? What has made you go into plastering so late? There are a good few lads on here round your way I think so best of luck getting a chance :RpS_thumbup:

I worked with my uncle years ago, he was a chippe by trade but but we used to do a lot of dry lining, it was the best job I ever had, but unfortunately work dropped of so I had to find other work, since then I've just bounced from job to job so now I work in a factory pushing a button! Not exactly hard work or challenging so now it's time change and do something I enjoy and earn more money

Well fair play to you mate and wish you all the best with it. To be fair this site is great for help , advice and getting work so I'm sure one of the lads may be able to help you out? Don't give up :RpS_thumbup:

day 5 "the tutors are counting their money chuckling to them self's" (in a big brother voice)

I'm sure there are naive people that will go on this course then think they can plaster, luckily I always knew that wasn't going to happen, I took the course as an introduction into the trade to get a rough feel for it. We all have to start somewhere. Wish I done 15 years ago but hey can't change that now.

How's it going pal? What has made you go into plastering so late? There are a good few lads on here round your way I think so best of luck getting a chance :RpS_thumbup:

A few yes. I wouldn't use the word good...

I'm sure there are naive people that will go on this course then think they can plaster, luckily I always knew that wasn't going to happen, I took the course as an introduction into the trade to get a rough feel for it. We all have to start somewhere. Wish I done 15 years ago but hey can't change that now.

2 years younger than me mate and with a history of drylining, sure youll do fine.

Hi there I have only started this May on a four day course then started at Preston college on a level one course. I found my way with a pal that's been on site for 15 years. I find work for him and then tag along and give a quote for paint work afterwards and before you know it your spending 2/3 days a week plastering then 2/3 days painting etc. get a crb check then approach estate agents for repair work on damaged properties. Before you know it works finding you.

a 4 day course, a 4 day course, its a joke, everybody is a plasterer these days , never seen so many vans driving round advertising plastering, joiners/plumbers etc,....... I was on a job this year when I did 2 ceilings, the rest of the house his son who had just done a course was skimming the walls, he could not skim a ceiling , this is basic plastering, and he could not do it, he is still plastering but no ceilings,... at the time I was quiet otherwise I would not have taken the job on,...... so while I can see where you are coming from simmons, try and see our point of view as well, a 4 day course, a 4 day course, I am going for a lie down in a dark room

Its the right attitude to take buddy :D

a 4 day course, a 4 day course, its a joke, everybody is a plasterer these days , never seen so many vans driving round advertising plastering, joiners/plumbers etc,....... I was on a job this year when I did 2 ceilings, the rest of the house his son who had just done a course was skimming the walls, he could not skim a ceiling , this is basic plastering, and he could not do it, he is still plastering but no ceilings,... at the time I was quiet otherwise I would not have taken the job on,...... so while I can see where you are coming from simmons, try and see our point of view as well, a 4 day course, a 4 day course, I am going for a lie down in a dark room

I find ceilings easier than walls... He must turn more work away than be able to do??? Bonkers really.... what were his walls like?

Personally I think nothing wrong with courses, problem is the idea behind it. I was 32 when done an nvq L2 so I'm not time served or experienced by any means. Some of the lads on this course was from such backgrounds like IT or financing, they never held a screwgun, or a tape in their life, some of these even jacked it in halfway through. A course can give you a false confidence. when u take on your first job and its not 2 x 3 meter ceiling and walls, cannot be reached without hopup or scascaffolding, etc.
that's when most of them says sod it, it's not for me. If you haven't got the balls and a can do attitude you're out.
Also, u need more than a trowel and a hawk a bucket and a mixer.
I worked with a few plasterer over the years none of the same, older ones banging on the gear like no tomorrow youngsters like sitting down and doing it like in college.
all in aalldoing a 3 week course was the best investment so far for me.

Would love to graft for someone for a couple of weeks next year who does something other than skimming, like rendering or ewi, so if u need a hand for free let me know.

I find ceilings easier than walls... He must turn more work away than be able to do??? Bonkers really.... what were his walls like?
personally I like doing ceilings danny, and yes he must be losing work, walls were bad but what struck me was how dirty everything was floor/tools it was like a herd of cows were following him round, and he never cleaned up just left it all for his parents to clean up

I do understand it from your point of view, hence the reason for looking to work WITH a plasterer and not go out on my own. God some people act like its their trade and theirs alone! I'm simply trying to better myself song can life a decent life, if anyone has a problem with that then move along because I'm not at all interested in your negative inputs!!

I blame the cscs card system, I have been plastering for 30 years. Never done an nvq in my life. When I say plastering, I mean , floor screeds, render and set, coving . Not just bloody skimming , how can they call themselves plasterers. All you see now is card carrying little know it all who in reality know **** all and can't do the job .

I do understand it from your point of view, hence the reason for looking to work WITH a plasterer and not go out on my own. God some people act like its their trade and theirs alone! I'm simply trying to better myself song can life a decent life, if anyone has a problem with that then move along because I'm not at all interested in your negative inputs!!
first of all you should be intrested in negative inputs , you should be listening and learning off whatever comments come your way , helpful or otherwise,..... perhaps the teacher could possibly make some time in the 4 day course to explain to you about the need for a thick skin and be prepared to receive negative inputs over the next few days/weeks/months,

I blame the cscs card system, I have been plastering for 30 years. Never done an nvq in my life. When I say plastering, I mean , floor screeds, render and set, coving . Not just bloody skimming , how can they call themselves plasterers. All you see now is card carrying little know it all who in reality know **** all and can't do the job .

skills testing is what is needed :D

It worked fine Danny before all this bullshit, if you couldn't do the job you didn't last , end off. Now the card carrying idiots drift from firm to firm making a pigs ear where ever they work . It's a money making exercise for the government . You work out how much revenue they will get from card renewals alone.

Yup.... use to be just a simple safey test... now its a way to push nvqs on people....

Construction workers safety tax....

Status
Not open for further replies.