looking for work in doncaster

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo79

am quite fed up, looking for any kind of decent ongoing work in donny is seeming to be needle in a hay stack like. the only thing i see from time to time is the insulated boards and render/pebble dash thats going on the council houses, and as i have never done any of that and they all asking for previous experience with that particular product i don't feel i could apply for those jobs although i'm sure that i aswell as anyone else with a plastering background could adapt very quickly and be doing it in no time. i'm sure many other people are in the same boat as me and i feel for them aswell (it's wank) and very frustrating. can anyone shead any light on the subject or is it as dark as it seems

If you are driving or walking by as the work is being done - stop in and introduce yourself to the guys doing the work..... see if you can get some experience with the guys - offer to work for low rates or free for the exp!

It is not as if you gain experience by talking about it - but respect to you for not offering to do work that you cannot do!

Good Luck Mate!

I made the same decision as you to turn down insulation work, that said though there so much of it happening that its worth getting on board.

it's not so much i turned it down mate it's finding someone who is willing to give you a chance. most of it seems to be through agency's which is not ideal as they want references saying you done it before plus i don't want to look a tool when i turn up on site and don't know what to do. but am sure you like me feel than anyone with plastering skills would have the hang of it in a couple of days. there are courses you can do but is it worth paying when you probs still would need references to prove you have the experience. it's all a bit catch 22ish. i'll let you know if i find a way to break the cycle

good luck mate, its a p1sser I know. I think you are right about it only taking a couple of days, I know a lot of guys that work with these systems and there is a lot of knowledgeable folks on here. Only downside for me is weather, if we get a sh*t few months it can be a real ball-ache. Go through some of the old posts on here, lots of people have asked the question about sourcing work and some good answers (and a lot of P1sstakes) have been given.

Stevo , the jobs your talking about are wank mate, they pay peanuts, you can make money on em if you graft your b*ll***s off and there's no problems with weather, so to be honest you don't have a prayer, especially this time of year's, I walked away from one of the estates purely because of the weather n **** rates. Was offered the same amount of money for topping off on a job in Notts as I was a full system installation in Donny , but had to turn it down due to ongoing commitments, try looking further afield

From Barnsley and in the same position pal,been dead a while for any long term work round these parts.There is a scheme called green deal installers offering free training in the new render systems going on council houses iv enquired about it through a company called scs based in wakefield but doesn't get funding until early 2013.good look with finding some work and if there anything going drop me a message I'm always looking for long term work with no luck at the minute.

From Barnsley and in the same position pal,been dead a while for any long term work round these parts.There is a scheme called green deal installers offering free training in the new render systems going on council houses iv enquired about it through a company called scs based in wakefield but doesn't get funding until early 2013.good look with finding some work and if there anything going drop me a message I'm always looking for long term work with no luck at the minute.
I'm in the same boat never tried the new systems but would love to give it a try another feather in my bow. So to speak

hi warrior. i know what you sayin mate thats why i was'nt fussed about them jobs before and to hear someone else say what i was thinking is reasuring, but it seems to be happening all over the place now, like you say it's all for crap money what i've seen but i'd hoped being local and not having to worry about anything but turning up with a few tools and doing you bit would make up for not being on mega-bucks. but how crap are we talking? i got 3 ankle biters that still want feeding every day whether i work or not plus there's the principal of it when someone wants you to ply your trade for **** wages, its good though to get the opinion of people in the same boat so you can get a wider view of the situation, thanks for the reply mate

they areoffering between 15 n 17 quid a m2 , if you want showin how its done give me a bell, were doing some dispplays for a green deal company in their wharehouse in the new year, inc some stone an brick effects for pro builder mag for pics wallcrette

they areoffering between 15 n 17 quid a m2 , if you want showin how its done give me a bell, were doing some dispplays for a green deal company in their wharehouse in the new year, inc some stone an brick effects for pro builder mag for pics wallcrette

Thats awsome mate i'd definatly be up for that. Whats best way to get in touch. Cheers

i will have a look at that mate nice one and ye if i hear of owt i'll be sure to put the word out

Status
Not open for further replies.