looking for materials to use above hole in the wall fire

conorumshy68

Hi,
I am looking for advice on materials to use around my hole in the wall fire.
The fire is fitted in to my existing wall which is strapped with 4 by 2 wood and gyproc.
I need something that is no more than 20mm thick and on top of that will be building out another 5mm using victas heat resistant plaster to meet the level of the existing wall need something that is not going to crack.
Victas supply a contstruction board which can be plastered on but it is 30mm which is to thick for what i need.
Any info will be appreciated.
I am not a plasterer i am doing this on behalf of the guy that had originally plastered it but it cracked just want to make sure it gets done right this time.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4935[1].JPG
    IMG_4935[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_4936[1].JPG
    IMG_4936[1].JPG
    2 MB · Views: 215
The fire manual recommends victas products.
Victas recommend using 30mm heat resistant construction board then use victas pva then victas plaster
but i have only 25mm to play with including the plaster.
The plaster cracked from both sides and the centre.

Do you think it wants an air gap all around or super insulation
I think its in the wrong setting all round I was looking at the crack on the right has it caused that to /hope its not concrete brick around it

Dab hardibacker board out to suit your required depth using flexy tile adhesive. Skim with vitcas. Needs to be at least 400mm away from the fire either side to.

It's a gas fire yes? So you've screwed some nice dry CLS wood to the side of something that gets very hot. And totally ignored the free down-loadable installation manual showing an air gap and masonry - AND SAYS GET A GASAFE ENGINEER.

It's a gas fire yes? So you've screwed some nice dry CLS wood to the side of something that gets very hot. And totally ignored the free down-loadable installation manual showing an air gap and masonry - AND SAYS GET A GASAFE ENGINEER.
Hi that was a gas safe engineer that fitted it and he had the installation manual in front of him.
Will need to get someone out for a second opinion.
Thanks.

OK, I would really like to be wrong here, suggest you read the installation manual yourself, it ain't rocket science and usually has decent simple drawings.

OK, I would really like to be wrong here, suggest you read the installation manual yourself, it ain't rocket science and usually has decent simple drawings.
Will do got someone booked in for Monday who fits these fires for a living for my own peace of mind.
Thanks.