Looking for Advice or Opportunity

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryant

Hi I am new to this forum and I am looking for some advice. so my story is im 27 untill july and I currently work in a driving role. I did a city and guilds in plastering in march 2011 as I wanted to work full or part time as a plasterer. when I finished my course I tried to get a good plasterer to take me on in but had no luck. I did a kitchen and a bedroom on my own for a friend but I need more confedience and experience. so I have now moved to canterbury kent and I am wondering if there are any plasterers that would let me join them I have monday, thursday and saturday off work so I could help out on those days I dont expect to be payed I just want to learn from a pro. also if you dont want me plastering I could just mix up and clean tools anything.If you read this and work as a plasterer could you let me know how I should go about getting into this trade ?? any advice would be very much appreciated, I just want to progress and I hope the real pros remember when they were trying to get into a trade and someone helped them. contact me on here if you can help I can bring my own tools even help with fuel costs
cheers Ryan

Welcome to the forum Ryan :)

When you did your C&G's, did you manage to become assessed for your CSCS card? You'll be limited to domestic work otherwise. There are a few guys here from Kent but your lack of availability may reduce your chances :)

Hi and welcome ryant, very positive post m8. Have you rang round plasterers/ builders? Try stopping off on domestic builds and ask to speak to the builder/ plasterer, get some cheap cards made up and leave them with them. Good luck.

hi mate, i think your attitude is great but tbh the best advice i can give you about plastering is don't do it. it great at first and the money can be good there is a sence of pride in doing a good job and a certain amout of freedom when self employed. BUT when the aches and pains start and they will you'll realize your stuck doing this and every day you are crippling yourself a little bit more. other than that it's a brilliant job. don't let me put you off but at least you have been told cos i was'nt.
good luck mate keep the posotive attitude and keep trying you'll get there in the end

I don't understand if you done your C&G then the only thing you should be is slow and that will come with time. How many years training was the C&G?

Keep at it, you will get there in the end, plasterers are negative people in general, at your age, aches and pains are years away. I would appreciate someone like you, best of luck

You'll do fine talking like that. If you're willing to help out unpaid initially I'm sure you'll find someone to take youon then graft graft graft!! Good luck!

You gotta make a commitment mate. I wouldnt hire a labourer or spread that could only do Mon Thurs and Sat cos they be more hassle than good :RpS_thumbup:

Thanks very much for the feedback so far.:RpS_thumbup:
The thing is if I commit to this Full time, I have to pay rent and bills so I would have to be payed and if I thought that maybe more of a ask and risk to a plastering company.I hear about the aches and pains but I want to get really good at plastering then try to not work 50 hour weeks to avoid major pains and in the future maybe get 60-70% of my income from plastering and 30-40% from a different job. I did the C&G intensive it took about 3 months to complete. where I use to live no college anywhere near taught plastering so I had to go for this course and as a result and as I expected before the taking the course, you need more practice and experience and to learn from a talented plasterer. I expect like most things you can always improve.
cheers for taking your time to add your comments

Good for you ryant, at least you understand it takes more than 3 months to become a plasterer. There are lot of guys who do a week course then start up as a plasterer. When I was taught I wasn't allowed to touch a trowel for the first 3 months until I had learned to knock the gear up. Then it was another three months on the devil float cutting out the internals and flating in the wall. Finally after six months my first cupboard. Yet these companies are advertising C&G in three months.

Status
Not open for further replies.