Looking for a placement

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannylatics

Hi

My name is Dan and I am 24 and live in Saddleworth. I am currently about to undertake a City and Guilds in Plastering as I used to work for my uncle part time as dry line plasterer as a labourer but due to circumstances he could longer be a plasterer so I had to take another career route. I became a mechanical fitter/engineer and currently have a NVQ2 and NVQ3 in Mechanical Engineering and a BTEC Merit in Mech Engineering.

Basically I have decided that I want to become a fully qualified plasterer so I am taking the neccessary steps. I am hard working, very reliable and very willing to learn. To undertake an NVQ I need to be employed in the plastering industry so Im wondering if you have any vacancies for a labourer/plasterer where I can practise and improve my skills on site working with a plasterer. I am at the age now where I want to move on with my career and I have worked in contruction as a plumber for a year and currently am employed as a service engineer repairing pumps and pipework and water systems but I would like to move back into the contruction industry as a plasterer

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time

if was honest with you mate I would stay in the industry your in, The building game has gone own hill big time, the rates are lower now than over 10 years ago. Yes people will jump on this post but you ask anyone who has been in the trade over 10 years and most will say the same.

Hello Mate
Dont under no circumstances give up a job and go into a trade thats on its knees, just have a good read back of the posts that are on this forum

ineedaplasterer

hi ineedaplasterer im from gravesend in kent i see u are looking for a plasterer # improver if u are still looking for someone ring me on 07810885808 many thanks

So if this was nature the goverment would be having a cul on plasterers and I would be first in line to get shot been 53.To many lads chasing what work there is
out there at present. I was talking to the manager in my wicks this morning and multi is down 5 pallets per wk but still the best seller in store next to plumbing gear.

The plan is to move to Australia in about 5 years and plastering is doing alright over there so I wouldn't mind taking a wage cut just to learn the trade and get that experience under my belt.

agree with simps do not give up what sounds like a decent job. I beleieve the industry we are in is in the biggest toilet it has ever been in I know people on 1.50/M plastering they struggle to hit £300/week before tax but the thing is they never get paid in full anyway some lad I know on a big site in lpool on the waterfront worked his pay out the other week to £30/day for fixing ceilings.

soon no english will plaster th new blood growing up will not be encouraged to do it. the job is a slave trade in some parts, for migrants only

God that last post depressed me, a "slave trade".

Would not give up a secure job like the lads say. Can you go part time on your job and plaster on your days off.

Were those ceiling lads workin full days for £30?

I just paid some retire fella £70 a day for 3 days nice easy paininting i never had time to do. I also paid a chippie £120 to fit laminate floors in two living rooms. He was finished at 4.

Plastering is far more skilled /harder work than both of those jobs. If a unskilled painter can get £70 a spread should be on at least £100 a day AT LEAST

Alright lads. Just been checking back on the site. Im still looking for a plasterer within 40 miles of Oldham who is willing to put me through a 2 year apprenticeship. Currently about to start a short course just to get all the basics and to show how keen I am. I really want to get kicking on with it and I won't disappoint. I am a fast learner, very keen and honest. The time of the year doesn't seem to help me but hey you don't get if you don't ask

Thanks again lads, hopefully something will come up!

Status
Not open for further replies.