Long Sweeps Laying On

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

drak

I'm a newbie to this site and have picked up some good tips so far from you guys. ;)

I was wondering if any of you pros can help.

I have been skimming on and off for a year (renovating my house) but I can't seem to lay on
using long strokes.

I can only get to 1 to 1.5 metre if I'm lucky. I put quite a bit of gear on the trowel but quite a bit of
gear ends up on the trowel at the top of the sweep, if that makes sense. Trowel I use is a 14inch MT Permashape bevel edge.
I know this game is blackmagic and takes years to master, but I feel if I can use larger strokes I
should be able to get a few more metres out of each set. It's driving me mad.

I would really appreciate any pointers to where I could be going wrong.

sorry mate it is practice, youre slowly closing the trowel as you go ........if its ceilings stand slightly less than an arms length from the edge ........this is a bollox reply you need to do it to learn ;D

try and move with your strokes if your doingup strokes bend down and keep the trowel and your body movig same if side ways walk with it until your trowel is clear but as spunky says practise make perfect

i dont think theres anything wrong with 1.5 metre stroke layin on, if you lay on off a hop-up its just below the knee to the ceiling, then the bottom gets filled in when youve done the top..
thats how i usually lay on anyhow..
as for muck left at the top of the stroke i generally turn the trowel on the muck and bring it back over, it fills any hollows and leaves a decent amount, if you start with too much pressure youll be thin in the middle and thick at the top...
25m is a decent amount for a set on yer own so i wouldnt sweat it mate unless your struggling with 1 wall..
like they say, practice, if you was doing it all day every day youd be able to do it in your sleep by now..

Just get it on mate and dont worry to much about the science bit. The more you do the better your stroke will get. You wont realise your doing it in the end.

Cheers guys, I guess practice, practice and some more practice. I need to get the mrs to take the kids out
for the day I think, put some Bob in the CD player and practice ;)

drak said:
Cheers guys, I guess practice, practice and some more practice. I need to get the mrs to take the kids out
for the day I think, put some Bob in the CD player and practice ;)
My missus would get the right hump if put "bob" in the in the cd player

Status
Not open for further replies.