Loft conversion and Heating a Property

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK :)

So my loft conversion is good to go :) We arranged a viewing today with teh agents and my friend the Building inspector came round to look over the property and let us know what we are going to need to do :)

No need for ridge beam :)

Insulation just that trioso stuff is good enough no need to insulate in between joists (we will anyway)

Because all the walls in the flat are solid and the floors are concrete along with the property below mimics us then we don't have to panic about new floor joists we may just have to double up the existing.... he will go and do some calculations but its looking good so far.

The fire regs means we will need to have the exit to the loft into the hallway which is fine... we will need smoke alarms in the main living spaces that are hard wired and radio linked. We will need fire doors in all the rooms as well.

The communal areas in the flat will need need a hard wired radio linked smoke alarms (which is fine as we will pay for that)

We need to put a couple of light weight steels in for the purlin supports or something but not as heavy duty as you would think due to to the size of the pulin... (I am a little hazy on this)

In the loft space we will be adding a shower room and toilet as we are aiming to add value and remortgage the property :) We then have plenty of room in the eaves for storage and there is even enough room at the end for a nice big cupboard as well :)

The floor space is about 10 meters long by 8 meters wide :)

The next thing is that we don't have any gas to to the property so we need some suggestions for heating solutions... ie electric heating solutions....

Fingers crossed we will be exchanging in 4 weeks time :)

Danny message stolen stilton about electric radiators. He's just replaced the storage heaters in his house with these and is really impressed

Is there gas actually in the village / town ? Theres a place near us with out it :RpS_thumbup: Well i think its in the town now but alot of house dont have it as non there when built

I'm not saying they don't but on most I've worked on they don't they all have electric heaters and electric cookers.

with regards to the roof purlin, they may require you to have a piece of steel the length of the purlin, placed both sides of the purlin, and bolted through the purlin to increase the strength of the purlin.

There's gas in the village but not to the flat and they have priced it up in the past and it it **** loads of money :-(

Yes, there will be 2 light weight steels going in but they will be pliced in as the access will be awkward to get up there :) But my chap says its a doddle :)

Yep will be battening the joist when installing the triso stuff :)

I will message @stolenstilton or @stolen stilton and see :) thanks @beddy :)

Still could all go to the **** cos the seller is a right **** and I have fallen out with him and he has me :-Z I got him arrested he got me and what not...lol so we shall see :)

:)

Last edited:
@Dansouthcoast84 We are moving to Middleton-On-Sea PO22 :)

Yes @beddy... fingers crossed he wakes up ad smells the coffee :)
@flynnyman no not doing them till we exchange :) He just came to the flat to look and see if it was viable :)

He is the building inspector as well :)

Last edited:
Danny, the heaters you need are electric radiators by a company called Rointe. Spanish made but I did lots of research on this to replace all my night storage heaters. Had them in for 6 weeks now and I cannot recommend them enough. Fully digital programmable electric radiators that just plug straight into a 13amp socket or hard wire them into a fused spur if you like. A sparky I was working with yesterday has also fitted them into his own house and swears by them as he has fitted them into several of his customers homes. Theyre not the cheapest but very efficient and belt out the heat straight away, no waiting for water to heat up then get pumped round the radiators, immediate heat. Supposed to be cheaper to run than gas anyway and loads more efficient. I got them from a local electrics merchants for approx. £400 each (I got the biggest ones available as large spaces to heat) but you can buy them online as well. Have a look but I don't think you'll find anything better on the market. My missus puts out more now as well cos she's never miserable about being cold:RpS_laugh:

re the flats without gas i find it depends on wether they are to be rented out or not cos the servicing of gas fires/boilers etc are the land lord responsibility and they do not like having to pay for it.

re the flats without gas i find it depends on wether they are to be rented out or not cos the servicing of gas fires/boilers etc are the land lord responsibility and they do not like having to pay for it.
Disagree, landlords who have any common sense for health and safety and the law will have no worries re keeping everything safe and working, common sene. Really.

Disagree, landlords who have any common sense for health and safety and the law will have no worries re keeping everything safe and working, common sene. Really.

What i meant was John they do not like to install gas. The last 5 or 6 rentals i have worked on where possible the landlord has taken as many gas points out of the property as possible to reduce their exposure to extra cost involved in servicing etc

Have you thought about bottled gas(LPG )to run central heating/hot water?

Nope... that just seems like a headache and having to rush about finding a supplier... I know people use it to cook with in places where there is not gas..

Status
Not open for further replies.