local rag

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballsdeep

do any of you fellas bother advertising in it. i did a while back got & just got time wasters flirting with the idea of having some plastering done in there house. all my jobs are word of mouth or for builders who i know. i was once told only serious customers use the yella pages but theres millions of spreads in mine.

same here mate alot were a waste of time people who havent got a clue really ......got a few jobs though only 130-140 per day though

i think at the last count there were 4/5 pages of plasterers in our yellow pages. the best 3 forms of advertising are goodwork, sign writing on the van and website i think. when i get the van done i'm going to get a couple of boards made up aswell to leave at jobs for a few days. a brickie doing a garden wall up the road from me has got 5/6 jobs on our estate by leaving a board.

steve cov said:
i think at the last count there were 4/5 pages of plasterers in our yellow pages. the best 3 forms of advertising are goodwork, sign writing on the van and website i think. when i get the van done i'm going to get a couple of boards made up aswell to leave at jobs for a few days. a brickie doing a garden wall up the road from me has got 5/6 jobs on our estate by leaving a board.
Im thinking of getting a board done myself cos most neighbours to the house ur working on will be in work themselves and never get to see you come and go, so I think as long as your customer doesn't mind havin the board at the end of their drive I think it's a good idea. I got one priced up last year and the fella wanted £150 which is a bit steep IMO

i got 2 boards done 18" x 36" on ali sheet for £120, paid for themselves after 4 hrs in front of where i was working. just a local sign writing firm out of the paper, gonna do my van for £180. (but i'd rather spend £180 on booze at the mo)

The boards a good shout but c'mon guys...£140? that's a half days wages to some of you!!! And they say the scots are tight ::) ;D

steve cov said:
your right mate, one job and they are paid for.

put it this way steve, the board pulls in, say 2 jobs and it's well worth it. It's a great idea and well worth the money. I'm on the verge of getting my transit written, just figuring out the colours etc. Can't wait!!

I've never had any of my vans sign written,
but I priced up today some magnetic signs for a transit £140
a lad I know had some & they looked really good quality not like the ones for £2 from the cheapo shop. ;D
That amount for a board is a joke though it's easy enough to do one yourself bit of ply & paint & some sticky letters & a blue peter badge ::) ;D

My Mate bought a lexus for £900 taxed & mot'd off eBay got it all sign written up the same as his van & parks it in expensive areas,
he just leaves it there a day or so. Then moves it somewhere else, he says he's had loads of big jobs from it 8)

It's all about putting your name out there. Word of mouth's alright but spreads need a high volume of enquiries. I'll get my van done as smart as i can afford and then make regular trips to M&S and sainsbury's 8)

I know Danny.....there's no escaping it. I just can't get my head around cyberspace. Too many bad experiences with YELL.COM :mad:

I think the boards a good idea but surely if your vans sign written thats enough when your workin on a job or do you guys leave it there over night?

Bruce Willis said:
I think the boards a good idea but surely if your vans sign written thats enough when your workin on a job or do you guys leave it there over night?

Yeah, taking the job home is too much, it would never fit my van.

lol yeah some jobs I would like to tak ehome with me well the customers 18 year old daughters....lol

websites are the key they are the new Yell

Danny

You can get boards from Vistaprint for around £25, they are A2 size and printed on that corrugated stuff estate agents signs are made of. Check em out, they call them lawn signs.
Websites, mixed results imo, they are not the holy grail that web designers have you believe.

What about getting a couple bits of ply from a job, paint and seal them, then take them to the sign writter. if he can do your van he can do your board. get it priced to sign it up then go somewher else and and get them to price it. The guy that did my van said he'd do me sign 2ft x 3ft on that plastic box sheeting 6mm thick for £40. I,m going to get this done then stick the signed board on to a nice bit 15mm ply. ;)

hmmm interesting this thread... I have access to a vinyl printer cutter thing

Maybe I can borrow it for a few days....lol

Danny

just been to see the sign writing bloke, hes doing my van for 80quid. nothing poncy, just name number and what i do. the boards are good because alot of people are out in the day at work so won't know you've been in their area. if they see the boards and see the person coming in or out of their house, or know them, then they are bound to ask what you were like

£80!!! nice one steve 8) What van and colour is it? Are you just getting the sides done or is that for allround?

150 for a board?? ??? just got me van back and sides done for £210, dont advertise in the paper so cant comment, only on checkatrade, and most of me work is for other builders/plasterers at the minute, phones f**k**g dead!

Casper said:
£80!!! nice one steve 8) What van and colour is it? Are you just getting the sides done or is that for allround?

just the sides done mate, keeping it nice and simple no bullshit on it. i'm getting the rear windows tinted or blocked out soon so he said when i want them doing it will only be about 30/40 quid. he laminates all the vinyls aswell so they last alot longer

That's cool steve. It's step a in the right direction. Good luck with it mate, i hope your phone rings off the hook ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.