Local builders and developers and local people

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

johniosaif

Private Member
Why is there not a push for local builders and developers to hire local people. The economy would do much better if this happened ,why are people searching just for cheap prices, money needs to circulate, I often see people recommending just on price, if I was developing a house, i do it on people I know or are recommended to me. We should do a section where local plasterers are shown in each county and each one of them would need to be verified as a tradesman ..

They do use local labour anyway, they will have a few contacts of each trade, you sound like you want a list of people that they will only use and it won't happen it never has

I work for local builders, i think nowadays they prefer to use local people they can trust as they have been ripped off by cheap chancers

Builders, developers, main contractors are all price driven, they won't pay a premium these days for quality, even if it saves money in the long run. Couple that with chasing for payment all the time because know one seems to want to pay until they get paid, even with funds available, something needs to give!

A lot of domestic work is also price driven but I have never been messed about with payment from domestics. If only I could survive without the site work I would be a fairly happy man.

We keep being told , construction is at best flat lining or at worst still contracting.
However , i was looking through the financial paper yesterday and construction out preformed every other section of the ftse 100 last week. So the people with real money , the investors know something we dont.

I have been to four property auctions this year in London, prices have risen sharply in a lot of London areas, a lot of foreign money is buying up the prime property, consortiums in Europe have formed to buy up prime or even decent investment properties, same with the Americans ,Chinese etc, they buy them up, quickly renovate and let them out,getting back min of six percent return . A three bed very run down maisonette achieved 465k in Brixton last week, property set to explode this year and trades still working for pre 05 rates. Are we Been had over?

Taken from yesterdays telegraph .
Expected rise in value over 5 years ( London ) .
Westminster , kensington and chelsea, 25.6 %.
Camden, islington 23.5 % .
Then we have a bunch in the 20 % bracket and right at the very bottom of the list , the poor people in darking and dagenham are only going to see a mere 16.6 %.
So someone out there is making alot of money , though its probably got more to do with scarity of land than anything else.

Last edited:
I have been to four property auctions this year in London, prices have risen sharply in a lot of London areas, a lot of foreign money is buying up the prime property, consortiums in Europe have formed to buy up prime or even decent investment properties, same with the Americans ,Chinese etc, they buy them up, quickly renovate and let them out,getting back min of six percent return . A three bed very run down maisonette achieved 465k in Brixton last week, property set to explode this year and trades still working for pre 05 rates. Are we Been had over?

Comes down to whats being said on here all the time........ People will work for less.

My uncle rang me yesterday, said a house in baring rd was coming up for 365 k guide at auction, period property with three flats, I told him it wil almost double the asking if not more. People in London now buying houses call them 1 bar house ie million pound ,it's so common for a decent period property in an average area to reach one million unmodernised, I have an offer on a 1930s house at the minute myself hoping it goes through,property that was 350 to 370 late last year are now 400 k, google Barnard Marcus, all sop auctions or savills and you will see the sold prices, surprisingly Andrews auction had a few unsold at the last London auction . Will it turn bad again ,yes I think but not this year.

London great if you have a wedge to start with...

for me and my generation we have without doubt got the sh1ttest end of the stick when it comes to buying a house, when I was a teenager was when the boom well and truly hit which pushed first time buyer houses far out of reach for us youngen's, my parents bought there house in 1980 for £10'000 an sold in 2002 for £180'000!! First time buyer houses round here are very hard to come by for less than £120k in a sh1t area.

im working on a 4 bed house this year in hatton gardens, its being built on the roof of william hill and there is absolutaly no view what so ever as it will be surrounded on all 4 sides by high rise, only reason i know this is because i plastered all 6 flats that sit above william hill..............price given off the plans is it will sell for 4 bar

for me and my generation we have without doubt got the sh1ttest end of the stick when it comes to buying a house, when I was a teenager was when the boom well and truly hit which pushed first time buyer houses far out of reach for us youngen's, my parents bought there house in 1980 for £10'000 an sold in 2002 for £180'000!! First time buyer houses round here are very hard to come by for less than £120k in a sh1t area.

bloody hell i wish there was something round here for 120 that would get you a macca little flat round here if you lucky

It is tough for all small people now, I used to ring the bank and say I might buy a house can you lend 100 k if I do, they agreed in principle, I bought t,they valued and lent the money, since 2008 they sent email saying we have no interest in this business.! Unless you are in the bigger end as investor circa 2 million you are an amoeba

bloody hell i wish there was something round here for 120 that would get you a macca little flat round here if you lucky

London for you though bud, as you and John have just said the property market in London hasn't stopped growing..

you live near London or the outskirts bud?

rent at the mo i know people who are self employed with 40 50 grand saved up and they cnt get a mortgage for love nor money just because there self employed and prices are soo high

rent at the mo i know people who are self employed with 40 50 grand saved up and they cnt get a mortgage for love nor money just because there self employed and prices are soo high
Banks of mum and dad are very much in demand in London, when you view a property in a nice area, the range rovers and Porsches turn up, whispered conversations whilst viewing. They believe the guide price is near enough but it's basically a worm to snag us on.

Self employed great isn't it!! As if we don't get stung enough but have to self cert on mortgages which we have to then pay a premium for as well..

thats if we can get one to start with

been looking at trying to get a mortgage for a while now but as its only me that works and im self emloyed, even with the savings i have they wnt touch me and if i do find one they offer me such a low amount i couldnt actually buy anything with it haha

Rent an average three bed in London now is 2000 PCM ,nice flats 1000 per week,madness, how can people live in London and work cheap, it just cannot continue..

You can't self cert any more, it aint hard to borrow money just show them your accounts and they will tell you what they will lend you.

been looking at trying to get a mortgage for a while now but as its only me that works and im self emloyed, even with the savings i have they wnt touch me and if i do find one they offer me such a low amount i couldnt actually buy anything with it haha

Same bud, it's fcked up that 5 years ago 21 years of age! I was in a better position than I am now..

Got a couple of builder mates that stretched them selves at the right time bought 1 property rented it out and used it as and asset on the next and so on and so on.

One of them has 11 properties now at 32. All tied up but early retirement and a comfortable life to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.