Lines showing through skim

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceeball

Hi all

I know there must be an obvious answer but I don't know what it is and would appreciate any help. I'm a DIYer and have been doing up most of my house. I have previously done some D&D and the joins showed up after a while and i did not know why. Since then I have mainly done hardwall and skim which i think gives a really solid finish, but decided for when to board a chimney breast i was doing for various reasons, bit figured i had improved over the years. I got a cracking finish on the chimney it looked really good. After a week or so I got around to painting it and it was still spot on, but now I can see a faint line at the join of the boards.

Is this a suction issue where the wall is still sucking way after the plastering has finished? If so is there any way round it. It's too late for this wall as the coving is up, the new carpet is in and the baby is due next week, but would really like to know what is going on.

Cheers

Ceeball

are you putting a solid dab up your joints? could be due to movement if not. Are your boards slightly apart not compleatly butted up tight together dont know why this matters as horizontal joints are always going to be tight with out the use of packers but gypsum recomend a gap between boards i think its 1.5-2mm dont quote me on that tho ;D

when you say the joints show through?do you mean the joints crack?or do you mean theres a slight ridge more obvious when light is on the wall?
If its cracking could be a few reasons inc not enough adhesive(esp round the edges,to large or not enough gap like mentioned above.This s**t must be mixed to death i find also for best results and easability of use.Always knock them to the wall well with the feather edge,good solid wacks from left to right and up and down.

If the problem is a ridge then simply the boarding hasnt been put up level creating ridges in the boards,another way to avoid the ridges is to work new edge board to new edge board and a cut edge to a cut edge.

Cheers All.

It's like you say skimmin2day, that it's more obvious in certain lights. I can't even feel a ridge to be honest. I left a bit of a gap between the boards, as I had read somewhere else on this site that you needed to do that. I put the good edges together, it is a chimney breast so it is only a board and bit wide. I put a good amount of adhesive on and scrim tape over all the joints.

It could have not been perfectly level. If this is the case why does it become more noticable over time.

Thanks again

its just one of the things sometimes you cant feel anythings and most of the time you cant see anything wrong just when a certain angle of light hits it you can see all kinds wrong.

i dabbed and skimmed an entrance hall to a court in liverpool bout 7mtrs high it looked s**t hot when we were finished then the coonts put these massive down lighters on it an we spent a week trying to snag it couldnt see nothing wrong at all in natural daylight and it was a big glass fronted thing so it wasnt exactly dark

not always ...sorry to argue..and a 3mm gaps to big should be 1 to 2...but lets be honest here most try to butt up with no gap and leave a 3mm gap by accident.....yes it makes a t join .....but i always butt up tight and so do most dryliners i know......leaving a small gaps ok..but anything over a 3 mm etc....asking for problems

Did you put a solid bed of dabs round the perimeter of the wall? If what you are seeing is more like a discolouration of the paint then the airflow behind the boards cvould have contaminated the skimming while it was still wet and stained it.

The Apprentice said:
Did you put a solid bed of dabs round the perimeter of the wall? If what you are seeing is more like a discolouration of the paint then the airflow behind the boards cvould have contaminated the skimming while it was still wet and stained it.

maybe if he had just dabbed sellafield

let the first coat pick up mate especially if youre leaving a penny gap the second coat should go over any defects ;)

I used SE boards rather than TE.

I dabbed patches of adhesive rather than solid all along the joints.

To be honest it doesn't look discolured so much, it's just that it is visible in a certain light. Probably one of those things that nobody else (other than another plasterer) would notice.

Cheers for the input.

Ceeball

Status
Not open for further replies.