Limestone.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

User________removed

Private Member
Does anybody have any experience of rendering onto old limestone ??

Been aproached by an old friend today whos got to hack off failed render on a gable, and re render, its limestone underneath.

Dont think ive ever seen Limestone let alone render onto it.

Can it be meshed and done in sand and cement, or does it need to be done in Lime ?

Ill hold me hands up to this one, completley stumped.

If its s&c im guessing quite weak as i belive limestone is quite soft, so what ratios we looking at for scratch and top ?

If it needs to be done in lime then whats the deal, the only lime work ive done is internal and thats very limited.

Cheers all.

dont put sand and cement on limestone its to strong and will cause damp problems, it needs to be rendered in NHL 3.5 lime mortar this is the same strength as the lime stone and will not harm it as when its carbonated, cured, dried out it is actually lime stone again, using this will also help the building breath and cure any existing damp problems... hope this helps

dont put sand and cement on limestone its to strong and will cause damp problems, it needs to be rendered in NHL 3.5 lime mortar this is the same strength as the lime stone and will not harm it as when its carbonated, cured, dried out it is actually lime stone again, using this will also help the building breath and cure any existing damp problems... hope this helps

Sound mate would you still mesh it ??

If you're meshing it you might as well put building paper behind and use sand cement

To be honest mate i havent seen the job, but may have the chance to go down and jump on it. Another string to bow and all that.

Hes under the impresion it needs meshing prior, not sure if this is because its not sound or something, just guessing at the minute, dont even know how old it is or if its listed.

Just be nice to get me head round it and go have a play for the day.

I would add fibres if hes picky but not really required if you look after the render properly ie keep it damp until each coat has cured before recoating it allow minimum of 7 days between coats and protect from rain sun and wind

There's probably little key and it'll be very high suction contact weber and ask what they'd advise if you were to use an OCR

Done a sandstone job recently, using parex lime render. Base coat and top coat. All it needs is a good hose down the day before then a good drink on the day. Apply basecoat,if the sandstone is a bit knackered and all over the place you might be best to give it two passes. It'll pick up fairly quickly. Key it ready for top coat, give it a mist before you leave. Leave for3-7 days depending on thickness, then your ready to top. With the bagged render there's a lot less looking after it than some lime products. Good stuff. Slightly different to mono but you would soon suss it. Good luck.

Forgot to say you can mesh it.(TV10) fully or where needed. We meshed some areas in the basecoat then round some openings in first pass of top coat.

Done a sandstone job recently, using parex lime render. Base coat and top coat. All it needs is a good hose down the day before then a good drink on the day. Apply basecoat,if the sandstone is a bit knackered and all over the place you might be best to give it two passes. It'll pick up fairly quickly. Key it ready for top coat, give it a mist before you leave. Leave for3-7 days depending on thickness, then your ready to top. With the bagged render there's a lot less looking after it than some lime products. Good stuff. Slightly different to mono but you would soon suss it. Good luck.

did you get on all right with it steve?

Yes......half the parex catalogue's dedicated to bagged lime gear. Never used any though. That thermocromex in a textured finish would look good on old buildings

Yes......half the parex catalogue's dedicated to bagged lime gear. Never used any though. That thermocromex in a textured finish would look good on old buildings

its because half the demand in france is for lime based product, weve used most of them, the moyen and clair is good workable gear to use.

The Base is very similar to monorex but the top(moyen) has got some large aggregate in it,some a good 8-9mm. The machine sounds like a washing machine with a few coins left in your pockets!! Doesnt skin up as much as the mono and definatley better in two passes. You can get a lot on before you need to second pass it.It feels a bit more like a good sharp sand render. Next day scrape more or less like mono but a bit heavier pattern due to big stones!

Sorry Rich that was for you.

thanks,

i know what you mean about the large aggregate in it, i rang up to complain about it, the first time i used it,as i thought some of the bags had got damp in transit, but was told about the aggregate.

Status
Not open for further replies.