Limelite finishing plaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJP

Hi I'm currently on a job working for a developer who insists that I use this Limelite finishing plaster on top of the Limelite renovating plaster.

Is there anyone out there that uses this, I am an professional plasterer with years of experience, and I have never come across such horrible stuff, It just doesn't want to set.

I would usually use Drycoat or Limelite backing plaster, followed by multi or board finish, but am new to this Limelite finishing plaster. Does it require one coat then laying in, or two coats?

It just doesn't seem to want to trowel up, even after 3 hours of being on the wall it is still really wet, and when applying two coats the second one just wants to slide and sag. and when it does finally start to go off it's almost chalky, not a finish you could paint over and look the business!

Does anyone have any tips?

how long should it take to cure and how do I get a finish that looks good?:confused:

Rich
CJ Plastering.

Hi I'm currently on a job working for a developer who insists that I use this Limelite finishing plaster on top of the Limelite renovating plaster.

Is there anyone out there that uses this, I am an professional plasterer with years of experience, and I have never come across such horrible stuff, It just doesn't want to set.

I would usually use Drycoat or Limelite backing plaster, followed by multi or board finish, but am new to this Limelite finishing plaster. Does it require one coat then laying in, or two coats?

It just doesn't seem to want to trowel up, even after 3 hours of being on the wall it is still really wet, and when applying two coats the second one just wants to slide and sag. and when it does finally start to go off it's almost chalky, not a finish you could paint over and look the business!

Does anyone have any tips?

how long should it take to cure and how do I get a finish that looks good?:confused:

Rich
CJ Plastering.
@seanlar

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me like you are using lime finish meant to be used in conjunction with lime plastering?

If so, go home & trowel it up the next day!

Its the Limelite High impact finishing plaster - and I really don't like it at the moment.

Try and finish what Limelight you put on in the same day! It cures overnight & repels water the following day.
Same with all the damp plasters ... horrible to skim the next day!

So are you saying the renovating and impact limelite should be applied the same day, If so then that's well worth knowing, thanks!

So are you saying the renovating and impact limelite should be applied the same day, If so then that's well worth knowing, thanks!
you are in for trouble if you try this !!
limelite finish is a matt finish so don't try polishing it, backing coat is cement based and needs to cure and shrink before you skim it, mix limelite finish let it settle 5 mins then mix again, put a coat on then have a coffee mix skim up softer and give another coat on ,clean tools buckets etc and trowel 2 times then done, you can cross it after 4/5 hrs if you wish to try polish it ,easy gear to use when you get use to it :rolleyes)

Limelight should be left over night get yur finish on early next morning does take bit longer 2 go off but trowels up good

used this couple of months ago, took about 8 hours to go off, don't rub it too much just get it flat, when it's about to set finish it with a sponge like you would s/c render. mix it twice aswell when knocking up.

It's a staircase on a listed building, hall in fact walls are around 30m2 each x 6 plus window wall x3 all got to be done twice due to them wanting the base coat to be 20mm! Can only put this on at 10mm max then I need to scratch it put it on anymore it will sag! So I believe! It's the finishing plaster that's gonna be the hardest to gauge! You just rub it up with a normal sponge? Or the Orange plastering ones that lads use to skim?

I used a normal stiff sponge, damp but holding no water. thing about that stuff aswell is even though it takes 8 hours to go off it sets very rapid when it does and very hard, so small rolling sets might be best way to go. the background was s/c maybe why it set rapid, if your using a lime backing might no be so rapid and might take longer than 8 hours as someboby else mentioned, it might be a bit trial and error.

Using this at the mo in an old house where they've knocked off 3 foot up for damp. The high impact finish is breathable so don't put anything else on.

We usually let the backing dry as much as poss or it bubbles. Then first a tight coat then second coat. Leave it for an hour then spray bottle and bring the fat up with a rubber grouting float then dry trowel the fat in. One last dry trowel an hour later job done

Sounds technical, troweling with a grout rubber trowell lol, seriously??? How long have you got for the gear to set on board? If you wait 2 days for renovating backing coat to dry/set/cure I take it you won't need to put any adhesive on for
suction control?

No you don't any adhesives on lime lite plasters or renovating plasters usually have waterproofing additives in them best to let the backing dry to avoid bubbling

lol. roll the dice and pay the price mate. Dont use it if you dant know what your up to. Make a dick of yourself. if your close to manchester conatct me and will let you shadow me next time i use it which is plenty

Status
Not open for further replies.