lime render

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodplasterer

We have a job that needs lime render the only trouble being its on thermalite blocks do any one know what spec is needed?

Bod said:
We have a job that needs lime render the only trouble being its on thermalite blocks do any one know what spec is needed?

Are you using bagged lime render? tell them the background and they will mix acordingly.

Not sure at the moment we have been given a spec with a product being HD lime render system but havent come across it before i think its a bagged product but i think its pricey so trying to come up with an alternative.

I dont know why its just what the architect has specified. The extension is on an old thatched roof cottage and part of it has been done in stone work which has been pointed in lime and the part we need to render is on thermalites which is making us scratch our heads and thinking this aint right.

Bod said:
I dont know why its just what the architect has specified. The extension is on an old thatched roof cottage and part of it has been done in stone work which has been pointed in lime and the part we need to render is on thermalites which is making us scratch our heads and thinking this aint right.

Galliford have just done the nhs in Huyton Lpool with HD limerender onto block but i cant remember if it was concrete or thermalite. I will try and find out pal I know one of the lads who worked on it but he did say it was sh1te to use but that would just be his opinion Bod it was coloured also leaving a naurel finish.

I am sure a man of your capability will have no probs

I had similar bod and in the end the client supplied a bagged material made by tarmac !!!.

That was lightweight block as well

no need for lime on thermalite but i did a farm hoose last month and extension was built with blocks, we scratched the blocks with s and c to save money then topped off with lime nhl 3.5

Im doing a job in huddesfield thats a barn conversion, and we are using limelite from tarmac, never used the stuff before, but from ive been told its easy enough

plasterjfe said:
Bod said:
Cheers John, That might make more sense it being a coloured lime render but the rest of the house looks like painted render. If they want the HD product and you said it aint the best to use it might be a bit of a nightmare as they also want rounded corners with no beading so not looking forward to this one.

Galliford have just done the nhs in Huyton Lpool with HD limerender onto block but i cant remember if it was concrete or thermalite. I will try and find out pal I know one of the lads who worked on it but he did say it was sh1te to use but that would just be his opinion Bod it was coloured also leaving a naurel finish.

I am sure a man of your capability will have no probs

what do you mean he will have problems because limelite has cement in it. I do not understand why this would be.

I do not buy into that render man you carnt write it off just like that. Have you had problems in the past with limelite???.

The problem with thermalite is suction, bad enough with s&c.
You have to control the suction if you don't the lime render will crack like****

I would put your douts in writing just to cover yourself.

Capital spread

I know a bloke who will know but I forgot his website I'll let you know when I remember.

He has diplomas in lime, and stuff like that works as a consultant !!!!

Capital spread said:
The problem with thermalite is suction, bad enough with s&c.
You have to control the suction if you don't the lime render will crack like****

I would put your douts in writing just to cover yourself.

Capital spread

suction yes
also thermal expansion

McPlaster said:
Millions of m2 render has been applied with cement in it, complete tosser!

you are the tossa mate.... yes i agree millions of m2 of s and c has been applied, and in the right context are fine, the problem though is when tossas :mad: dont know the correct mixes and put stronger mortar on the walls that the walls are made from, cement mortar has no give in it and will crack and pull the faces of bricks, where as lime mortar will move with the structure up to a point and will repair its self due to the free lime content in the mix

Render Systems said:
no need for lime on thermalite but i did a farm hoose last month and extension was built with blocks, we scratched the blocks with s and c to save money then topped off with lime nhl 3.5
that ll work then ,tosser !

Render Systems said:
McPlaster said:
Millions of m2 render has been applied with cement in it, complete tosser!

you are the tossa mate.... yes i agree millions of m2 of s and c has been applied, and in the right context are fine, the problem though is when tossas :mad: dont know the correct mixes and put stronger mortar on the walls that the walls are made from, cement mortar has no give in it and will crack and pull the faces of bricks, where as lime mortar will move with the structure up to a point and will repair its self due to the free lime content in the mix
just answer me one question , why after posting this do you then post about doin lime over sand and cement, like you said the problem arises when people dont know what theyre doin ???

feel bit sorry for mr render.....im sure he is a nice bloke....just has an uncanny knack for upsetting people with bad comments given his experience

goody said:
feel bit sorry for mr render.....im sure he is a nice bloke....just has an uncanny knack for upsetting people with bad comments given his experience

He is a nice bloke but like me comes in for some unfair critisism from the same people all the time :(

ahhhhhhh , its so unfair mummy, they keep picking on me all the time, I thought it was funny posting pics someones daughters but i dont like it when people pick me mummy, Grow up and grow some FFS

Status
Not open for further replies.