lime plastering on fibre board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gents,
Got a job to do in the new year and the speck is to use fibre board for insulation reasons then lime plaster on top and a lime putty finish.
I have done some previously that involved fixing boards to wall. roughing on and embedding plastic mesh into backing coat and then applying top coat.
This job requires a smoother skim like finish. Has anybody got the time to give me a step by step guide and or relevant web sites I could visit.
Chees marras and a happy new year.

Hi Mrmacgypsum. We have just done 1000m2 of this walls and ceilings do NOT use Anglian lime it's very very hard to use - get in touch with Tym mawr 01874 611350 ask for Paul or Scott they will give you good technical advise, it seems to me that you will need a hair backing coat ( to stop cracking over the joints) then a lime putty. As a rule of thumb and it actually works test the base coat with you thumb nail - if it sinks in its to wet and you will struggle with the top coat, it is best if the backing coat has dried out ( if need be mist coat with water to stop the suction) then when you apply the lime putty you will have a constant back ground to work on.
check your specification on fibre board it's normally a lime hemp plaster ( no lime putty)

Paul at north staffs plastering ltd

thanks all, customer is being very helpful and understanding. he realises its not your run of the mill plastering job and is happy to be patient and flexible. a rarity in itself nowadays.

ok,
this is how we have lime rendered over herracliff boards, firstly we used hydraulic lime 3.5.. mixed with coarse sharp sand with fines of no more than 3.5mm ,, mixed at a ratio of 2.5 to 1. apply base coat and press reinforced fibreglass mesh into... lightly keyed,,leave to dry for a minimum of 7 days..second coat applied after light misting of water also mixed at 2.5 to 1.... ruled and rubbed and left with a sponge finish ready for application of lime wash... resist the temptation to wash lime plaster from green oak, best left till firm then just scrape back....hope this sort of helps

Lime work always sounds good. Better than a bag of multi. Something ive always wanted to get into and try.
I like using lime and traditional methods,I would like to do more of it as don't come across a massive amount of it,even in older properties the customer usually wants to go the gypsum route.shame really:RpS_thumbup:

Once you've applied backing coat the top coats easy, one coat at about 3mm , mist backing coat as before then trowel on , depending on suction, rub up with a wooden float either later or next day, you can finish with sponge if you want a smoother finish, remember hydraulic lime takes in quicker than non hydraulic

I like using lime and traditional methods,I would like to do more of it as don't come across a massive amount of it,even in older properties the customer usually wants to go the gypsum route.shame really:RpS_thumbup:

Yeah know what you mean. Its all modern round here. And even lime jobs that come up there only couple lime trades round here which i wont compete against

Lime jobs are a pain but do a few each year.got one to do in a few months with the baumit range which is ideal as there not much babysitting to do!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.