Lime plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use Lime Skim. Not Gypsum. you can get breathable emulsion which covers as well if not better than modern emulsions.Using Lime will maintain your house for years to come as well as being better for your health. If you have the whole house to do the cost of using Lime instead of gypsum is very little. All the guys using Gypsum in old buildings are just ensuring work for me and a few others in the future.

Not if it heritage and not if the customer wants breathable walls.

Also skimming over lime normally with result in hairline crack futher down the line. Think along the same lines a external render. A more brittle top coat on a softer undercoat is a no no. Why any different in internals?

Lime skimming is expensive and time consuming however acrylic based internal compounds are not

I've been doing some research and a possiblity might be Universal One-coat if the original lime plaster looks a bit rough etc. A lime plasterer told me this. It will also give the same 'grainy' finnish as Lime plaster. I also found the following:

Link Removed

Another question.....if you put some Universal One-coat to a red brick internal wall....would you plaster the wall with another material before hand? I know it say 'One-coat' but......

How big is the job?

Ill post a vid in a minute of Knaufs premixed range being used on old lime lath and plaster. We patched in mp75 (one coat plaster) then apply to tight coats over the top

OK thanks. There's a couple of rooms which have no plaster and just red brick. The rest of the house has lime plaster and it's surprisingly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.