lime plaster

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heafy

had a phone call today off a customer whos been let down by another plasterer. She said the plasterer has already backed the walls out with lime mortar it just needs the finish. Sooo, first things first ive never even used lime mortars and finishes, secondly is it a lime finish im gonna be lookin for or can u use multi. D you need to control the suction with water or pva etc, do you finish it the same way as gypsum plasters, feel really out me depth on this one as ive never used the stuff before, just dont wanna look like a c**t really

don't use gypsum plaster to finish
no pva on lime ---water only

to be honest if you don't know what your doing i would leave it alone as the materials,process and finish are all different to gypsum plaster....

Is it ready to skim? Like - does it look flat enough to accept a skim coat? If it is, then you will be using tubs of ready mixed lime/silver sand to skim up with. Lovely stuff to use, but you will need to guage how much damping down you need to do first to control the suction. I haven't done heaps of this and I reckon someone more qualified will be along sometime today to guide you - have fun:RpS_thumbup:

It is a common misconception that Tarmac Lime lite products are lime based. All there under coats systems are in fact cement based. The Lime lite finish is in fact a blend of hydrate gypsum, hydrated lime and lime stone flour.( these systems are mainly used after remedial damp treatment works.)

In the case of your job, you should aproach this with a purist mindset and only apply a lime based skim. For simplicity some companies on the net supply a pre blended lime putty and silica sand mix ( finish stuff) . Only control the suction by use of water.

The knowledge base required to use lime plasters is much different to using gypsum based plasters , and if you are worried about looking a T*** it may be wise to leave alone until you have aquired the relevant training and knowledge.

I've only ever used lime on a listed building, horse hair backing coat and used the finish that comes in tubs and just needs knocking up. Its nice gear to skim with though. No need to use water when trowelling. It can look s**t if you don't know what you're doing. Maybe get someone with more experience to do it and learn off them.

Status
Not open for further replies.