Lime plaster or Gyplyner on old stone walls?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertJones

Hello all,

I have an old stone cottage that has suffered with damp problems and I have stripped back the old lime plaster to the stone (damp due to being empty for 2 years and external pointing/roof etc).

Now I have had a few people cost for the job and price isn't so much of the issue as to which would be best for the property (breathability)... and I'm really not sure what to do for the best. Please can someone advise me as to whether it would be better to have the whole lot lime plastered or have the builder use a Gypline system as below:

• Two coats of pva bond to all internal stone work

• Installation of metal firings secured vertically to all walls with bonding compound to allow 30mm airflow between stone work and new plaster work

• All external walls to be boarded with thermal insulated plasterboards fixed to new gypline firings

• All internal walls to be boarded with standard 12mm plasterboards fixed to new gypline firings

Many thanks from a confused cottage owner!
:glare:

depends if you want to preserve the "character"of the "old stone cottage". or end up with straight flat walls

lime plaster every time....breathability maintained

i would use hydraulic lime render/plaster in this situation

Definitely lime plaster inside and lime render or lime pointing outside. NO pva either. This will form a seal and retain your damp problems. You don't have to use hydraulic lime inside.
Go to a good lime supplier and they should be happy to advise you if they are local. Mine is Limebase who are in Isle Abbots, Somerset.

Definitely lime plaster inside and lime render or lime pointing outside. NO pva either. This will form a seal and retain your damp problems. You don't have to use hydraulic lime inside.
Go to a good lime supplier and they should be happy to advise you if they are local. Mine is Limebase who are in Isle Abbots, Somerset.

we tend to use hydraulic inside unless we are working to a conservation dept spec.

but as you say you can use either hydraulic or non hydraulic lime

Non hydraulic lime is slightly more breathable so I believe it will help to clear the damp issue a bit quicker. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I find it expensive, only used a small bit of pre bagged , had a full house to lime plaster,and was looking forward to something knew, then I got pulled off to a fire damaged, re board job, I might try a made up mix myself sometime in the future,thinking buy the hydraulic lime and sharp sand and fibres,but never used it before so it would be experimental

Agree with hydrated lime, cure the damp issue quicker. Don't PVA!

As long as mix is don't correctly then mix own. Done a few houses this way.

Builder way will seal outside walls, loose room space, and insulated boards will hide damp for longer.

Ask a good trad plasterer!

if you have the room buy pre mixed fat lime in ton bags lots of horse hair in the first coat push the scratch coat back with a float helps with the cracking use a lath two sractch the first coat makes a good key www.plasterinlime.co.uk

we use more pre blended hydraulic lime now because we can apply with machine

but have made hydraulic mixes with nhl 3.5 /plastering sand and
have used loads of putty lime in the past....depends on the job really
which one i use.

both limes are breathable....

hydraulic lime clean washed sand fibers and some one who knows what there doing ,be careful with builders who think they know what there doing .come back and bit you on the ass in few yrs where about are you

we use more pre blended hydraulic lime now because we can apply with machine

but have made hydraulic mixes with nhl 3.5 /plastering sand and
have used loads of putty lime in the past....depends on the job really
which one i use.

both limes are breathable....

I agree but I was told that hydraulic lime is a little less breathable the stronger it is (i.e. 5 being the least breathable compared to non hydraulic)
Having said that, as martinemj says, it depends on the job. When it comes to lime use each job is different and requires different solutions.

Wow, thank you all for your advice, really appreciated and helpful!

I will definitely go down the lime plastering route rather than boarding and plastering, I did wonder about the metal firings as surely after a period of time they will rust away too!

nhl 5 not really for plaster/render ....used for footings,chimneys ,exposed pointing,screed

robert...

we all have slightly different views on lime but the common theme is not using
cement or gypsum plaster on old properties (except p/b ceilings maybe ?)

Thanks Martin, that's the general feeling I have got too from reading around on the web and in books, I just wasn't sure as my builder put a good case forward. I'm sure he's a good builder but I think I might have to review working with him as his experience on old houses seems limited from his advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.