lime plaster north west

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
Madmonk - it is a listed building but it also got flooded on boxing day. I has a layer of lime with the hair in and then gypsum top coat at the moment. But from what ive read lime is best for flooding and for stone houses to let the moisture out. Although its gypsum at the moment and we have no damp? But for the life of me trying to get someone to lime is hard! haha

it's a shame I'm in north west but never done any lime work accept limelite which is different ramsbottom not too far for me either

I was reading about limelite - would this be better than gypsum? It may be okay if it gives better breath-ability than gypsum? Im Rawettenstall.

I was reading about limelite - would this be better than gypsum? It may be okay if it gives better breath-ability than gypsum? Im Rawettenstall.
yes it would be better than gypsum because of the lime content but it's not cheap stuff used in conjunction with high impact finish to give a full breathable coat ahhh rawtenstall just at the end of the m66 know it well mate of mine lives there

Limelite is designed in mind for following a successfully instalment of a new dpc primarily because it has properties that stop the water tarnish salt deposits reforming on the surface after removing the damaged plaster normally to around 1meter from ground level. Where as any gypsum products will just absorb and draw it to sit on the surface.

If you google tarmac limelite renovating plaster @kelly they have a technical line that should be able to advise if there product would be suitable and advise specs.

Sorry don't know much ref proper lime work.

Zombie

Limelite is designed in mind for following a successfully instalment of a new dpc primarily because it has properties that stop the water tarnish salt deposits reforming on the surface after removing the damaged plaster normally to around 1meter from ground level. Where as any gypsum products will just absorb and draw it to sit on the surface.

If you google tarmac limelite renovating plaster @kelly they have a technical line that should be able to advise if there product would be suitable and advise specs.

Sorry don't know much ref proper lime work.

Zombie
Thanks I'll have a google send a few emails. Kelly

I think the confusion comes with the name "limelite" and people assume it's lime based. To my knowledge most renovating plasters are effectively just a lightweight 6:1:1 render with salt inhibitors in which is topped with a gypsum based finishing plaster. It's not as breathable as lime but it still allows any moisture in the wall to evaporate. If you can afford lime do it in lime. Most grade 2 buildings I've worked on you can get away with using modern materials if the property has had some kind of previous renovation. It's the external stuff they are more strict on. Like for like etc

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Lime work itself is easy, just slow fookin around with drying times and layers etc.
Like everything, it's all in the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Av not done any lime me sell like, just waiting for me marra @raggles to let me job on one of his when he gets one...............(y)

at this point can i just say how fook'n sick i am of skimming i actually had a spring in me step today cos i had a chimney breast to float and skim and will be ecstatic next week cos i am jumping in with a joiner pal of mine to fit a kitchen next week and then slating a couple of porch roof's ooh ooh i nearly forgot best off all i have a 4m length of insitu cornice to run the week after that well if the fooker do'nt change his mind.

I LOVE PLASTERING

at this point can i just say how fook'n sick i am of skimming i actually had a spring in me step today cos i had a chimney breast to float and skim and will be ecstatic next week cos i am jumping in with a joiner pal of mine to fit a kitchen next week and then slating a couple of porch roof's ooh ooh i nearly forgot best off all i have a 4m length of insitu cornice to run the week after that well if the fooker do'nt change his mind.

I LOVE PLASTERING

change is as good as a holiday :D

Status
Not open for further replies.