Lime plaster in a property refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

keredewor

Hi

Refurbishing a 1995 edwardian property.

Existing walls are solid with no cavity, including internal load bearing single skin walls, unless stoothing which are 100mm lathed, all walls are lime plaster.

(I) Internal walls on lathe are all blown, all existing lime plaster now removed.

(ii) Internal single brick walls require patch repair then over skim

(iii) existing internal walls facing external all blown and extensively damaged, all rainwater goods, cills, render etc all now repaired, all plaster hacked off to brick exposing lime mortar and brick

So much conflicting advice as to how repair,

For (I) I intend to remove all lathe and board stoothings, then one coat gypsum plaster

For (ii) I intend to patch repair with a breathable backing plaster then bond the walls with a Plasprime or DG then overskim with lime finishing plaster, not sure if this maintains breath ability of existing lime plaster or if not how do to get a key to enable a skim finish using a lime based finish plaster

For (iii) I intend to apply a backing plaster, lathe 25 x 50, foil backed overboard and skim in gypsum to create a cavity to maintain breath ability, joinery and cornicing to be amended to suit, belt and braces I know but with the solid walls and sandstone cills it just feels the right thing to do!

Is the above feasible whilst maintaining an element of breath ability for the property or any other suggestions welcome so I can discuss with local plasterers

I understand a certain amount of lime plaster has been lost in the building this way but it seems the best and most cost effective solution

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.