lime alternative to keenes cement for walls and mouldings

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuy

hi all got a big job internal nhl 3.5, the original walls had keenes cement below the dado and skirting and dado moulding run in keenes , and also i must run a skirting mould and dado mould in stu .the specs say nhl 3.5 but i think it will be too soft it will get lots of foot traffic spoke to the site agent and a few people i was thinking nhl 5? ty mawr have said a product called pronto? said to have a quickish set and very hard, ( cant use any gypsum what so ever for gauged putty or moulding work) any suggestions thanks stuy

keenes cement plaster was a very hard plaster, the only time that i have set with keenes was on large commerical freezers. i have heard plasterers, years ago talk about mixing keenes with sirapite to harden angles. to spec lime mortar you are going from one extreme to the other. how about having the skirting and chair rail moulded in glass fibre?

i agree malc. the specs where drawn up but were not checked they just assumed that the whole wall and mouldings where lime!! will probably do it nhl 5 ( do some test panels first) as for fibre glass dont rekon the architect would go for it mate even tho he did not pick up on this issue i did!( can you imagine the damage to a skirting done in nhl 3.5!!) stuy

How about casting the dado and skirting in G.R.C or d I you have to do it in situ ,
hi frank i thought also about g r c but he wants all mouldings run in situ, he is a big time traditionalist and wants it done as it was which i dont mind actually more intresting but he may have to compromise on some of the specs i think, i will take lots of photos as i progress through the job and post later will try a few test runs and panels and see what he says stuy

Running cement mouldings in-situ , while interesting and nice to do, is really a labour of love , we would normally have to price this about 3 times the G.R.C rate , and still only break even , but nice to do ,
Good luck with it , look forward to seeing the photos

www. Plasterwork.ie

Status
Not open for further replies.