Learn the trade or do something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes u learn all aspects of plastering including floor screeding

then u do your theory along the way....

Then u have to do a 9 day block (full 9 day exam)
where u are accessed by 20 year experienced plasterers with qualifications.
everything has to be spot on...

do that, thats how i started never bothered with college or any course (wish i had some sort of qualification now) but ive seen "spreads" that do these courses and they are still only at the labourers stage. Im lookin at going to college to do a plumbing course just so im happy removing bathrooms and rads and stuff like that.

I very much doubt that they'd cover all aspects of plastering. I done 2 years and there's tones we didn't do. Broached on forming columns, didn't do peable dashing, forming cicular columns to name a few

ollie said:
do that, thats how i started never bothered with college or any course (wish i had some sort of qualification now) but ive seen "spreads" that do these courses and they are still only at the labourers stage. Im lookin at going to college to do a plumbing course just so im happy removing bathrooms and rads and stuff like that.
I wouldn't bother mate, they ONLY teach u installations of rads etc... not removing! to remove a rad u need to drain the whole Central heating system and if u do that u need to make sure u fill it with antifreeze to the correct ration with water... none of which i know as ive never been taught, and the only reason i know about the above is because 1 of my mates has his own plumbing company and it came up in conversation 1 day.

thanks for the reply thou.

mate you should get into plastering if you think you'd enjoy it, shouldn't really be about the money. im 23 been at it 7 years an 5 on my own and its hard work just getting the jobs, i was earning more 4 years ago than i am now. some weeks you can earn big money some weeks it can be £0.00

my brother did a plumbing course for 6 months cost him about £3k tried to get a job and had no luck think he thought someone would just take him on and pay him a whack every week..... doesn't work like that. he now works for rbs insurance

i started by by troweling the drive off when me and my dad concreted it when i was 15, knew from then what i wanted, took me a good 6-8 months before a plasterer agreed to take me on (and i met him by ripping a shop out that was been converted to flats i knew there would be spreads quoting) did 2 years with him then chucked myself into big wide world a bit too early if im honest.

what im trying to get at mate, you should be aiming for a job you enjoy doing if its plastering then go for it. but money should not be the driving factor because if you dont enjoy the task, you end up doing a half arsed job. same with any finishing trade i think.

what ever you do mate , good luck. dont just do it for the money cos there none f.uc.k.i.n left with course's like that.

mate, if u can do the course and get in with a plaster too then
you'll do a lot better what i'm doing as i have to rely on small
jobs here and there

my aim is to get my city and guilds, then apply for a job in an insurance
company, get the van from them etc...

some of their plasters are terrible, i know some people who works for
similar companies

spark2010 said:
yes u learn all aspects of plastering including floor screeding

then u do your theory along the way....

Then u have to do a 9 day block (full 9 day exam)
where u are accessed by 20 year experienced plasterers with qualifications.
everything has to be spot on...

what the f**k are you gonna do for 9 days lol

Thanks for the reply mate, thing is i wont know if i like it till i try it and i wont be able to try it unless i start it and then it will be too late...
only place money is nowdays is in sales... and i cant deal with sitting in an office pushing pens all day... i need to be active doing something etc.

016 - Repairing a patch in a plastered wall
065 - Boarding and setting a ceiling in one coat
066 - Applying a floating coat to wall and attached pier
067 - Applying and finishing the setting coat to a floored wall and attached pier
068 - Applying a floating coat to a square or rectangular column
069 - Applying a floating finishing coat to a square or rectangular column
070 - Scrim and skim finish with plaster

then

017 - Screeding a sand and cement floor from a given level of datum point
018 - Introduction to fixing floor tiles and skirting tiles
071 - Applying a textured finish with border
072 - Replaster over textured ceiling using bonding agent
073 - Applying a plain rendering and finish with a wood float
074 - Applying a Tyrolean hand machine finish to a prepared wall
075 - Fixing bell cast bead and applying scratch coats to wall areas
076 - Applying pebble dash finish to a prepared wall

Wow, well that's all aspects of plastering covered then?

For rads, isn't anti freeze for a car radiator? Maybe if you lived in the north pole you might have to do this. The inside of my house is a little warmer then the freezing point of water. Surely you're talking about freezing the pipe that you're working on? Most rads have rad valves on them, I wonder whet happens when I shut them down fully? Oh yes, no more water goes in, so I can take the rad off (appart from it's contents of course). When you finished puting the rad on the wall and preasure testing it, surely you must have decomitioned it?

Must say ive never heard of anyone ever draining a hole system to take a rad off??? i have taken one off before at my sisters a few years back. and the hole vavle came off so havent touched one since

That happened to me also, makes you a bit shy about doing it. Used to just crank them slightly, take rad off wall, then tighten up. If the valve comes off then either freeze the pipe or have to drain system

i just put a new olive in and quickly put it back over the pipe, i know this isnt the best way but i was dripping wet any way and i was bord of having my thumb over it for nearly an hour waiting for my dad

there seems to be hundreds of plasterers in every city now a days, the reason most of them do not advertise is once theyve been taxed on their £50 a day wages, and taken all the money for fuel, insurance, tax, liability, materials, tools, not to mention bills, mortgage, food, they cant afford to advertise!

steve cov said:
there seems to be hundreds of plasterers in every city now a days, the reason most of them do not advertise is once theyve been taxed on their £50 a day wages, and taken all the money for fuel, insurance, tax, liability, materials, tools, not to mention bills, mortgage, food, they cant afford to advertise!

;D ;D
That's true!

lewisricekrispy said:
I won't work on site due to the rude words and sexist jokes. Plus there's no old girls knicker draws to go through

Gotta say lewis that is one of the perks on domestic work.....the old knicker draw ;D

lewisricekrispy said:
Mmmm, and the shoe box in the bottom of the wardrobe.... Buzz

Yes do you smell it then lick it?
The dildo that is.....?

If so your a fcukin pervert ;D

That says it all, go to Able skills , but watch the Goldtrowel dvds.Just go to g.t and be done with.They have a 80m2 aera for you crack on with.Been there for my NVQ.I was impresed with the way Andy runs things there.

kebab king said:
I never make out i`m good mt, well my tiger stripes are better than yours mt.

I don't get em anymore mate I use a spongefloat all the time now ::)
Should try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.