laying up

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

juel

hi all
have been told you can spot a trained plasterer by how they lay up ie first coat right to left then second coat left to right as you are pushing the plaster into its self for flater wall and even thickness i am at a resonable skill level and have skimed probably about twenty rooms on my own but my boss wasnt great in teaching liked the sound of his own voice and fags to much to teach me anything in to much detail. now on site and some old boy chirping up how he can tell i aiant a real time served plasterer about to tell him to ff but would like to make sure im no going to make myself look like a dick dontt really know any other old school plasters to ask
any info thanks

both coats of skimming are put on left to right if you are right handed the secret to good laying down is flat 1st coat and timing of when to 2nd coat.

that will be £50 tar

the thread starter should of known that the most unhelpful self rightous dickheads would be the first to reply.

And why should we be helpful to a chancer, going around skimming peoples houses who doesn't even know how to put the stuff on?

I have absolutely no doubt that he is leaving sh1t work in his wake whilst taking jobs off real plasterers.

Ooh this thread turned ugly quickly lol. I agree though if he can't skim or isn't sure on it he is no time served spread, he's kind of defeating his own question with his lack of experience admission. Good tip would be go serve your time mate

the thread starter should of known that the most unhelpful self rightous dickheads would be the first to reply.

not really he diddnt really ask any question so there was nothing to answer and he said hes done 20 rooms then gets the hump when someone says he isnt time served, well whoever said that is right he is not time served hes still very wet behind the ears so shut up fu*king moaning

Time served? For me five years apprenticeship before I could even consider calling myself a plasterer. Nearly fourteen years later and I'm still learning and picking tips up from others.

hi guys

i have been working with a general builder/ more plasterer for about two years labouring for 2 yeas before hand .i always lay both coats from right to left but as i said i didnt really rate the way the way my boss tought or his abililty having him be my only boss and step in to plasteing was looking for confimation i am doing things right ie laying up as for me doing a shite job all my work so far has been word of mouth and all my customers are happy it is now i have ventured on site and am wondeing if the other guys have just had their noses put out cuse im the new guy or my bos has tought me wrong wouldnt put it it past him to mis inform/ teach me wrong on purpose should i lay second coat into first coat in oppsite direction to how i layed upfirst coat this is tthe question does it give a better finish or am i just being wound up by old timers ie go get a long wait

left to right. maybe do a band from the left and top. and work in all strokes to the previous strokes. ur first coat is vital get that right second coat is a breeze. timing is the major factor u get that bang on youll be fine. hit it to late no point putting the first coat on. also dont worry about people on site your the new beeee so course they will make ya feel arkward best thing to do is do a good job. because when your on break they will be in ya room feeling ya walls.lol good luck:RpS_thumbsup:

Well if they have to feel his walls they ain't spreads either
That winds me up when people do that, just finished polishing a wall and someone wipes a greasy hand across it. Tell em to go piss off and find something else to sweep up.

That winds me up when people do that, just finished polishing a wall and someone wipes a greasy hand across it. Tell em to go piss off and find something else to sweep up.

who cares what happens to the walls once you've done your bit

Taking the piss is just how it is on here, if you look past it though there is some very good information on here.

Sometimes.......

How's is any one going to learn when all you do is take the ******* piss.

This isn't the Open University.

Besides, the OP already knows what he's doing, he's skimmed tens of rooms.

Albeit back to front, he might have even put his second coat on before his first. :RpS_lol:

Sorry, I'm taking the piss again. Can't help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.