Lathe and plaster ceilings

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakejhnsn

Hello everyone
a customer would like a large ceiling in a grade 2 listed building reinstating in lathe and plaster, I don't have much experience with this type of work so was looking for some advice please.

what type of lime plaster is best to use?
suppliers for lime plaster?
Application methods?

any advice would be really appreciated thanks!

also if there is any one in chester area who does this work and would like to earn some money let me know

Walk away, mate. Tell them you don't have the experience. You'll price it wrong and it will end in tears with both you and the customer cheesed off.

Or, like you say, try and work along someone who knows the stuff. And let them price it!

Walk away, mate. Tell them you don't have the experience. You'll price it wrong and it will end in tears with both you and the customer cheesed off.

Or, like you say, try and work along someone who knows the stuff. And let them price it!

I agree!

Trouble is you need to do a first scratch coat into the lath & leave it a week at least.
When you return to float it properly you will find some of the laths have sprung outwards leaving little piles of prehistoric shite on the floor.
Once you have straightened & floated the second coat, you will need to leave it another 7 - 10 days to cure.
and when you do go back to skim, don't rule out having to go back the next day to give it a final trowel up.

Factor in a certain trip to A&E if you get any in your eye & a general burning to your hands, which spreads to your face when you touch it by mistake.

Think of the most you have the cheek to charge, double it & add another hundred for good luck ... and I bet you still lose on it?

I would try & get day rate if I were you!

I agree!

Trouble is you need to do a first scratch coat into the lath & leave it a week at least.
When you return to float it properly you will find some of the laths have sprung outwards leaving little piles of prehistoric shite on the floor.
Once you have straightened & floated the second coat, you will need to leave it another 7 - 10 days to cure.
and when you do go back to skim, don't rule out having to go back the next day to give it a final trowel up.

Factor in a certain trip to A&E if you get any in your eye & a general burning to your hands, which spreads to your face when you touch it by mistake.

Think of the most you have the cheek to charge, double it & add another hundred for good luck ... and I bet you still lose on it?

I would try & get day rate if I were you!

Sums it up nicely.

Remember, you're only as good as your last job!

Cheers for the advice guys, I have passed the job on to some one that has the experience needed and he has agreed to let me work with him, customer was pleased with my honesty so every one is happy! so great advice all round. Thanks again

Tell them it's why plasterboard was invented,it's better and easier and cleaner.
im all for keeping plastering traditional,but I recon if you ask any plasterer who did lath and plaster ceilings they would say
" **** job,load of crap,board it" :)

Tell them it's why plasterboard was invented,it's better and easier and cleaner.
im all for keeping plastering traditional,but I recon if you ask any plasterer who did lath and plaster ceilings they would say
" **** job,load of crap,board it" :)

Exactly what I thought at first mate but it's a grade 2 listed building, so conservation and the English heritage have told them they have to do it this way.

Ive done them on day work a few years ago and trust me it is **** work and worth every penny you get for it, got to give it to all them boys years ago who had nothing else to work with they grafted, I couldn't imagine doing a ceiling with lime without a decent set of safety goggles on and ime sure as fck they didn't have them, must have been some bad eye injuries.

RJM Plastering does Lath and plaster ceilings all the time for listed properties and nothing beats the old way.

Yes mate got someone with plenty of experience to do it with me tho, and got the client to sort materials and pay us both a day rate, so it should work out ok

Yes mate got someone with plenty of experience to do it with me tho, and got the client to sort materials and pay us both a day rate, so it should work out ok

best way to learn. another string to your bow :RpS_thumbsup:

don't take too long, though :RpS_wink:

Ye that's what I thought, plus I'm a greedy f**k*r and don't like turning work down :) we are starting it a week on Monday so will keep this thread posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.