Lafarge Gtec aqua board parex render system

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

goody

Private Member
Went down to see progress on the boarding of a job a job we're starting soon using aqua boards on a timber frame structure. I'd heard from the main contractor that the boards delivered were wrong as he'd had plasterboards instead of render boards. Well it turns out that the boards are correct and after an in-depth explanation from parex and assurances for guarantees etc that these days you can indeed plasterboard the outside of a building for rendering over.

There's no gypsum in them of course and they can be left out in the elements for six months, but it sure is an odd site to see the whole side of a 4 storey city centre building covered in yellow plasterboards!

As they can be cut and worked like normal plasterboards they beat the he'll out of cement boards for this type of work.......steve keitley the parex rep even reckons they can be used with maite and dot & dabbed on for facade renovation etc.

We all know how nice and predictable it is to skim plasterboard internally, well now it seems the same is true for the outside.......Were just praying it all works!

Just checked they are gypsum based but water & mould resistant. Big in the states apparently but met with a healthy dose of scepticism here.....time will tell

the lafarge gtec and knauf aquapanel are gypsum based boards goody lad just SPECIAL for external use. I think most of the ability comes from the coating.

British specs and standards dont trust anything new but it dont stop us hiring the cheapest first meaning the quality of work is shite on most projects? knob eds in this country. the bba is good enough for my liking, those tests are vigourous

so if you put 2 layers or panzer mesh would you say it would be as good as solid render for a huge retaining wall. In my mind now is a breathable membrane fixed with 50x50 and then these boards over it, double meshed and maybe brick slips or acrylic. Would you say thats a good system that wont get damaged

might see if i can twist me mates arm into givin this ago on his timber frame garage that hes building.
http://www.bbacerts.co.uk/PDF/4725PS1i1.pdf

You can use this over timber pal. it still needs to have a cavity tho. since the canada issue all timber frame need the cavity in there. You can use batten for these boards to get your cavity. we use these now whereever we can, much easier to handle than cemboard but all depends on spec. some insurance companies still wont accept it even with bba.

there was half a pallet of boards sitting there on site the other day and they had all the rips and tears of regular plasterboards and some strap marks on the sides. big possibilities but prob about as vandal proof as EWI really.

they aint cheap spunk. they over twenty quid a board now.

they are tougher than a plasterboard and not as eeasy to cut they behave more like fireline or soundblock blade cutting will do but alot use a saw

The timber frame guy reckons that the price is about the same for this system on a timber frame building as an external masonry skin. Any savings are in speed of build really.

The timber frame guy reckons that the price is about the same for this system on a timber frame building as an external masonry skin. Any savings are in speed of build really.

Had this debate many a time, even seen studies from the brick inst. on the whole most people recon facing brickwork is cheaper and yes it is time that saves. many actually changing back to facing/masonry outer leaf. the cost of the render products is a massive problem i beleive. they really need to wind their necks in otherwise the industry will be giving the V's up

a point that is missed here is that with the weight of the frame and blocks bricks there is a saving to be made in the amount of concrete needed in footings if you opt for a frame and clad design. You can go shallower and narrower. This has to be more "green" Then there is the space saving, if you set the frame out further your internal space will increase. You can use a 90 mill frame and externally insulate or fill the frame with celotex.
The tradional method may be cheaper but it costs about 20 quid £10 labour £10 material to just board it with calcium boards, imagine using a plasterboard they can get it down to £11 £9 Material £ 10 labour They can get a thin coat render system on that at approx £10 materials and £10 labour ( sm700/ mesh/ mineral/paint)

Now it seems possible

Whos painting it bloner and are you including the paint in your tenner? mats around a tenner for base/mesh/finish alone i recon but agree on the saving of concrete and weight but the QS will still compare you to face brickwork and say you are too expensive regardless of what has been saved on the whole budget due to a loighter design.
Remember the industry is not run by logical thinking people like you or I, its run by people who have to use big words and like to complicate things to justify their positions

i am just going of the prices people are quoting here at the forum meshing for a fiver texturing for 3.5 quid and paint for 1.50
Its allready happening! when was the last time you saw a school in solid block cavity. 50 years ago they were face brick everywhere. Its the house builders that need changing and they will in time when new generations replace old sticks like Flinny

there is a big school in wales with a block and cavity I have priced for wet render

you will struggle to get poles texturing for 3.5 unless its big runs. most lads ask for 5 everywhere you go. it all depends how they break down there whole system prics suppose

was that a " church in wales school" i was thinking about all the schools, colleges and etc i have worked on in the last 10 years and guess what. some of them were render and set. So what a cuntt i am. ask me something i can be right about

were doing one thi week but if any of you boys use them remember Parex are the only ones who have the bba on them so make sure you keep to the parex system. it does look odd to plasterboard on the outside

Lafarge are going to produce a gtec render board. It's basically the same board but orange instead of yellow and more expensive. Just cashing in on the external version. Apparently they're paying for the BBA to be changed as parex's system states gtec aqua board.
They should indeed produce a more specific external board to avoid confusion but don't increase the god damn price! They could corner the market and clear up big time if only they don't price themselves out of it altogether.

As far as I am aware lafarge and knauf both have this board on the market today.

I think weber have a bba on a board and render only system but not sure what the board is, prob cpb or calc

was that a " church in wales school" i was thinking about all the schools, colleges and etc i have worked on in the last 10 years and guess what. some of them were render and set. So what a cuntt i am. ask me something i can be right about

whats the weather like down your way?

:RpS_lol:

Gross weather. One day of showers today and smelly rain all week. I had the next 3 days all sorted to couche a job and its fukked me up again.

Yeah, Hey spunk i know some boys who are pretty busy up Ebw vale way and they may need help with monocouche and insulation jobs. They work all round that area plus bridgend and swansea, cardiff etc. P & P plastering

was that phil eee, missed a call off him a bit ago. god damn weather cowin lush at the mo, even better down pembroke dock....nice

a *ucking dental surgery for the docs.......architectural wankery with all sorts of funny angles and stick on steel shapes etc and the windows have to be beaded off plan to the mil without them even being on site......spec of em apparently but a complete nightmare.....oh well some nice piccys for the website. Hows the machine business? id av thought youd get some takers on the finance plan youve setup.....let's face it if nobody'll take the plunge that way they never will!

Status
Not open for further replies.