Labourers !

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When i started i was a labourer, and i earn't nearly the same as the spread, as i was a good labourer. I never put anything on the wall for years. But i grasped the fact, clean buckets, wet the board etc, how to load there hawks while there up a ladder. So i worked hard, as a labourer, and got paid, as near as damn it, the same as the plasterers. They were getting around £90 each and me £70, if we finished at 1pm that was a bonus. Today i'd make a brilliant labourer too, as i know what i want as a a plasterer. I work sometimes with a friend who's a spread, he's about 55, but when we do a job with two plasterers, i do ALL the labouring and on the trowel too. And what i do is f@cking hard work. I wish a labourer would be like this today....rather than texting, facebooking, talking to there birds on the phone...Thats why i do it myself!

we have not had a labourer work with us for years. i thought they where a thing of the past. why pay a non producer ?
our main aim is to earn as much as poss, get the work finished, and get away.
when we work in holland ,the dutch stickadors always ask, why do british plasterers need a helper?

I always have had and always will have a labourer, from loading and unloading materials, carrying tools, buckets ,board and stand,mixing up ,protecting floors, bringing water, scrimming, beading,carrying plasterboard ,fixing plasterboard, clearing up and cleaning, loading the van etc.lots of other stuff from going to the shop for drinks or teas,,stickador that...

I always have had and always will have a labourer, from loading and unloading materials, carrying tools, buckets ,board and stand,mixing up ,protecting floors, bringing water, scrimming, beading,carrying plasterboard ,fixing plasterboard, clearing up and cleaning, loading the van etc.lots of other stuff from going to the shop for drinks or teas,,stickador that...

it usually is the labourer that makes the most mess. i would never let one fit beads or fixing plasterboard. we do not stop for drinks, teas or go to the shop.

it usually is the labourer that makes the most mess. i would never let one fit beads or fixing plasterboard. we do not stop for drinks, teas or go to the shop.
Oh they can certainly make a mess, takes a while to get them cerebral

we have not had a labourer work with us for years. i thought they where a thing of the past. why pay a non producer ?
our main aim is to earn as much as poss, get the work finished, and get away.
when we work in holland ,the dutch stickadors always ask, why do british plasterers need a helper?

I don't understand how you think that a labourer is a non producer. On domestics I can see that you don't always get more done per day, but on new work a good labourer is definitely upping production. A labourer that creates mess is an ex-labourer in my world.

I don't understand how you think that a labourer is a non producer. On domestics I can see that you don't always get more done per day, but on new work a good labourer is definitely upping production. A labourer that creates mess is an ex-labourer in my world.

we all work two plasterers labouring on them self. we each have are own jobs to do, which we have done for years.
my brother and his son, my eldest son and his work mate do the same, they work on building sites on pricework.
a labourer is like a dunkie, handy when you need one, but as soon as you have finished throw him over your shoulder.

we all work two plasterers labouring on them self. we each have are own jobs to do, which we have done for years.
my brother and his son, my eldest son and his work mate do the same, they work on building sites on pricework.
a labourer is like a dunkie, handy when you need one, but as soon as you have finished throw him over your shoulder.

I disagree, I think a good labourer is worth his weight gold. More efficient to have a spread spreading rather than washing frames and scraping floors.

I disagree, I think a good labourer is worth his weight gold. More efficient to have a spread spreading rather than washing frames and scraping floors.

we wash down all woodwork. we sheet up floors so no scraping there. they also look better with no stains.

On rendering we usually have a labourer. My lab has been with me for 18 years in between sackings and his dad before him. These days he averages 2 days a week because modern systems do not warrant him but on traditional hack off and re-dash I get him in. 43, thick as two short planks but fit as hell and a good grafter. You just put him on what he he is capable of and do yourself what is half rocket science.

Rendering is graft so the lads on the trowel earn the money. The labrador does all the dirty hard donkey work and lets wear his joints out to save our own. The thing is with this lab, he is as thin as a biafrian in the 60.s fit as bugger and eats junk, smokes and likes his ale yet he can outrun any of us. His dad was the same until he got nicotine poisoning. He is also loyal, will work all hours 7 days a week.

if I had to sack 2 of my 3 it would the the other 2 and I would keep the lab. Finding labs like him who works for peanuts is near on impossible.

Who mixes when you're rendering?

on scratchcoat, my son mixes, loads up, and scratches, i put on. we both push angle and stop beads in to scratch as and when required
on top coat my son mixes, loads up. i put on, i rule in and first float. my son seconds float and sponge up.
we both clean up.

Last edited:
Hope you chuck him an extra couple of peanuts every now and again.
On rendering we usually have a labourer. My lab has been with me for 18 years in between sackings and his dad before him. These days he averages 2 days a week because modern systems do not warrant him but on traditional hack off and re-dash I get him in. 43, thick as two short planks but fit as hell and a good grafter. You just put him on what he he is capable of and do yourself what is half rocket science.

Rendering is graft so the lads on the trowel earn the money. The labrador does all the dirty hard donkey work and lets wear his joints out to save our own. The thing is with this lab, he is as thin as a biafrian in the 60.s fit as bugger and eats junk, smokes and likes his ale yet he can outrun any of us. His dad was the same until he got nicotine poisoning. He is also loyal, will work all hours 7 days a week.

if I had to sack 2 of my 3 it would the the other 2 and I would keep the lab. Finding labs like him who works for peanuts is near on impossible.

on scratchcoat, my son mixes, loads up, and scratches, i put on. we both push angle and stop beads in to scratch as and when required
on top coat my son mixes, loads up. i put on, i rule in and first float. my son seconds float and sponge up.
we both clean up.

You float up twice malc?

Status
Not open for further replies.