Labourers and apprentices.

• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23452

Where do you find them or make contact with people for such roles? Obviously there's the local college, but I'm thinking about people who have progressed beyond needing to be told when to breathe out and get off their mobile. o_O

The nature of the work I do means I need another pair of hands, with as much ability/common sense/desire to learn as I can get.

The problem I ( and no doubt many others) have is finding people. So many have left the trade or gone onto big sites that there's just no one about. Which is a shame as it'd be a good opportunity for someone be they wanting a leg up in the game, learning skills, wanting something physically easier than site work, or to fill a few years on the run down to retirement.

Where do you find them or make contact with people for such roles? Obviously there's the local college, but I'm thinking about people who have progressed beyond needing to be told when to breathe out and get off their mobile. o_O

The nature of the work I do means I need another pair of hands, with as much ability/common sense/desire to learn as I can get.

The problem I ( and no doubt many others) have is finding people. So many have left the trade or gone onto big sites that there's just no one about. Which is a shame as it'd be a good opportunity for someone be they wanting a leg up in the game, learning skills, wanting something physically easier than site work, or to fill a few years on the run down to retirement.
Pissing in the wind there

A decent bloke over 40-45 is normally in a settled job the ones who ain’t are piss heads living in a flat above a shop or on a mates sofa and you know they are gonna be unreliable the ones under 30 are like hens teeth and want the world but not to work for it wouldn’t it be better to get a trade and come to a bit of an agreement bit more doe but to muck in on a basis of him basically not being worth the Agro

Very good luck with that.
Pissing in the wind there

That seems to be the general feeling of everyone I ask or talk to. I know we've said it before, but what's going to become of trades generally and the domestic side in particular over the next ten years?

I know four people well across three trades who will retire in the next 5 - 10 years. None of them have an apprentice or semi-skilled labourer so no replacement/continuation.

I’d move closer if the doe was right I’d even put up with the northerners as well although by sounds of its worse to get around brum than it is London

That seems to be the general feeling of everyone I ask or talk to. I know we've said it before, but what's going to become of trades generally and the domestic side in particular over the next ten years?

I know four people well across three trades who will retire in the next 5 - 10 years. None of them have an apprentice or semi-skilled labourer so no replacement/continuation.
I honestly believe that when they made it illegal to have labourers as self-employed it threw a massive spanner in the works of how things had been done for years. All to get a bit more N.I.
On site back then I reckon the number of tradesmen having a lad dropped by three quarters.

I’d move closer if the doe was right I’d even put up with the northerners as well although by sounds of its worse to get around brum than it is London

I'd say it's on a par. If you're around the edges or stick to an area it's manageable, but if you have to cross town it's rarely worth the effort. As for Northerners, there aren't any here, just ask @gps :LOL:

I think the commute might be an issue. By the time you'd got here on the M6 it'd be time to go home again. :LOL:

You could sleep in your van. (y) :)
Lol, think it would get a bit old after a year or too, seriously though great opportunity for someone and personally I'd take the step backwards to take the step forward, shame people never seem to need each other in the same areas

wouldn’t it be better to get a trade and come to a bit of an agreement bit more doe but to muck in on a basis of him basically not being worth the Agro

That's pretty much how it was with @Nisus which all the p1ss taking aside worked out for everyone. He's moved a bit further away on the other side of town though, so travelling is a pain and one nobody wants if they can avoid.

That's pretty much how it was with @Nisus which all the p1ss taking aside worked out for everyone. He's moved a bit further away on the other side of town though, so travelling is a pain and one nobody wants if they can avoid.
I sense in there your saying not far enough away for my liking :risas:

I'd say it's on a par. If you're around the edges or stick to an area it's manageable, but if you have to cross town it's rarely worth the effort. As for Northerners, there aren't any here, just ask @gps :LOL:
I’m half tempted to call gps a northerner I get the sweats going through dartford tunnel something very strange about going up north for

shame people never seem to need each other in the same areas

True, although you'd think out of a population of one and a quarter million people it'd be possible to find someone that wanted to work, learn and earn.

True, although you'd think out of a population of one and a quarter million people it'd be possible to find someone that wanted to work, learn and earn.
Where exactly are you

I’m half tempted to call gps a northerner I get the sweats going through dartford tunnel something very strange about going up north for

I start with an inexplicable anger south of Altringham, the Southern bastards.

My mood lifts as I go North of Stoke, and I'm positively chipper by the time I'm passing Preston. Mind you, I suppose that could be because the only time I go North is to get the ferry from Heysham. :)

I have a Clawski he's as high maintenance as an over grown child

This is Clever Dog.

17264899_10155207033611155_1777807495237297118_n.jpg
16508280_10155084629236155_3024237105955273078_n.jpg

I'd have done that, but I've had to come back here, haven't I?