Labourer sacked

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't learn, he's a lost cause.

He's been docked before as I caught him stood about for 2 hours, warned and bollocked time after time, tried to explain that the tool fairy doesn't visit me and magically replace things.

I don't care about what he does next, he has learnt nothing, he became a problem for someone else as of yesterday afternoon, no way am I wasting more money on replacing s**t. :bailando:

Well after 4 months, 6 render jobs and 2 plastering jobs iv decided to take the decision to sack the sorry excuse of a man which happened to be my labourer

Finally tipped me over the edge, when I dropped him off on Friday and told him I'd settle his wages up on Saturday as I hadn't got the chance to go to the bank.

Sat at the computer sending out a few invoices and quotes Saturday morning he text saying he needs his money, I replied I'll drop it off in a few hours as I was busy, 4 texts messages in the next 2 hours all telling me he wants his money, he's in the pub can I drop it there I finally lost it and told the c**t to stop fooking pestering me, sent a text immediately after telling him he was also sacked for being fooking useless and that I'm not risking my reputation anymore taking him to work.

I bollocked him for about the 6th time on Friday, proper bollocked him, telling him that it was my name on the back of his hi-vis and that when he fooks up its me the customer rings while he's sat at home with mummy and daddy watching Spider-Man ramming his dinner down his throat eagerly awaiting dessert which I'm fairly sure is his mothers breast milk.

His prep work on jobs, sheeting up, taping windows, doesn't do it, his running of the ritmo L (despite me taking him to les for training and paying) he can't set the fooking thing up, running it after iv set it going is hit and miss, overloading being a favourite trick of his, cleaning it down after, a rush job, which in turn fooks me the next time we use it.

His cleaning up of jobs after we've done, oh my, 4 hours to clean 3 windows, 9 hours to sweep 3 sides of a house which I had to do again the following day.

His attitude was disgusting, the painters on my job were taking the piss something rotten, 7am my c**t jumps out of the van with shades on they all start asking why iv got the terminator working for me, he's had 12 karate lessons and walks around like he's "10 men" the painters words not mine, he could not be told what to to and had an excuse for everything.

I told him on Friday, why not be a man and hold your hands up when you drop a bollock and just say "sorry Chris, I'll get on it now"

It was a toss off job for him, turn up get the money and blow it in the pub while he watches his ex girlfriend being taken home by everyone else apart from him.

24 years old, mind it's not all bad, he's going on holiday in a caravan with his mum and dad again in September.

He had a good job and a good chance to learn a trade, possibly earning £300/£400 a week in 12 18 months time if he'd have shown some interest.

Now I'm back looking for someone else, iv got plasterers local lads, wanting to come with me but don't want to risk training the competition and paying for the privilege.

Ideally looking for 17/19 years old, someone I can mould a bit, someone who has pride in there job be it sweeping up or filling a skip, do they exist?

Advice on where to find these would be great lads, ta

my two penneth for whats its worth,
sounds like you've brought it on your self a bit really,four months why have you retained him so long, you can tell within a fortnight if there any good or not. secondly what you messing about with cash for, pay them direct by bacs once a week theres no messing about and you both no where you are, get him on your books with ni contributions etc so everythings above board.
your going to get through a few wrong ones before you get a decent lad that's the way it is, put it down to experience and move on keeping money etc its just petty.
the thing in your favour is your in a city so you've a decent pool of potential employees there, the thing to install in young lads is that they are working for you as a career not just a job, I find I install this into lads there loyal etc, as regards training lads up and fear of loosing them to competition, well that the same in any industry, shite happens, but if you treat them right and have work theres no reason for them to leave. the acid test is would you go for a pint with them after work, if that's the case, you've cracked it.

Anyone that is breaking a lot of tools and materials needs to be got rid of as soon as possible. I don't think you can train it out of them. Sooner or later they are going to damage something of yours or a customer that is going to cost a lot more than a few buckets.

@owls I took him on after I the previous skimmer was demanding more money and then let me down.

I had work booked in and the previous guy tried to corner me over money, wanting £150 after tax, he could only base and mesh, that being very messy.

I decided to buy the ritmo, get a lad on and train them, which I did as I had a load of jobs booked in.

I got the lad, took him on a plastering job as to see what he was like, he didn't seem bad but obviously was on best behaviour, over the months he's turned sour, I have jobs booked in until November so just cutting him loose after iv paid for training with les for him and had him running the machine was not an easy decision, I am now a 1 man band with a lot of render jobs booked in, which is a position I don't want to be in.

As for paying cash, I'm not fooking about setting up DD, NI and tax for someone to turn out to do what he's done, the commitment from me will come when they prove they want the job.

Saying that I appreciate what your saying, we'll have to see what else is out the, got 3 wanting a job at the minute so see how we go.

I was fair with the kid, took him for a beer, bought him his snap at times made sure he worked safely and took him to and from work everyday, paid up every week.

I do feel for you bud,I completely understand why you kept him on and had hope cus I've done the same in the past,we all had to start somewhere and we all made mistakes,it's just how many mistakes you are willing to put up with and only you know when enough is enough,better luck with the next one,put them on trial and see how you go.

He may have been the most unless cocker in the world but you as a boss should always pay his wages at the end of a working week. He sounds a right knob by the way

Nevver read all that too disturbing ......just say "I dont need ya, goodbye"

Should of started thread "deer deirdry"I

I can't believe the cheeky c**t was hassling you for his wages u didn't get on time lol

Useless or not if your employing him the wages should be there on time. With the laid back way your saying it as well i'd bet its not the first time. Two wat street. f**k his £15 black bin the w**k*r can't even be arsed to pay me on time....

Someones s**t then let em go after all like u say its your name. U can't sack someone because ur pissed off he wants his wages

It's my writing style marshy, honestly mate, I'm sat on patio with a coffee chilling out in my dressing gown.

The real aggression is later when I spoil a good walk throwing my driver down the 16th
Dressing gown.......very debonair

I can't believe the cheeky c**t was hassling you for his wages u didn't get on time lol

Useless or not if your employing him the wages should be there on time. With the laid back way your saying it as well i'd bet its not the first time. Two wat street. f**k his £15 black bin the w**k*r can't even be arsed to pay me on time....

Someones s**t then let em go after all like u say its your name. U can't sack someone because ur pissed off he wants his wages

Well you can and you did but you know what i mean.

@owls I took him on after I the previous skimmer was demanding more money and then let me down.

I had work booked in and the previous guy tried to corner me over money, wanting £150 after tax, he could only base and mesh, that being very messy.

I decided to buy the ritmo, get a lad on and train them, which I did as I had a load of jobs booked in.

I got the lad, took him on a plastering job as to see what he was like, he didn't seem bad but obviously was on best behaviour, over the months he's turned sour, I have jobs booked in until November so just cutting him loose after iv paid for training with les for him and had him running the machine was not an easy decision, I am now a 1 man band with a lot of render jobs booked in, which is a position I don't want to be in.

As for paying cash, I'm not fooking about setting up DD, NI and tax for someone to turn out to do what he's done, the commitment from me will come when they prove they want the job.

Saying that I appreciate what your saying, we'll have to see what else is out the, got 3 wanting a job at the minute so see how we go.

I was fair with the kid, took him for a beer, bought him his snap at times made sure he worked safely and took him to and from work everyday, paid up every week.
Take all 3 on at once and see who shows promise, you can generally tell after between 1-3 days whether or not they are a good fit.
As for the money, you should have paid him on the Friday if that's the agreement, I have many times had me and my family go without so as to pay wages.

Well this is interesting reading. Me amd Mac live in the same City and we are now both without our right hand man. Well I still have my now loyal labourer although he was at one time no better than Macs but he has matured.

I used to go through labourers one after another until I found a sticker but it could take months. It is all the time you invest in getting them to know what they are doing but before that happens and maybe two weeks of wasted money you realise that either they cant work with you or you cant work with them. Been there so many times.

As for wages on pay day well Mac (Chris) get used to it and how you got away with a week in hand is just good luck. I have found that most cannot work a week in hand, they are too poor. Most need to come groveling mid week with pathetic bad luck stories and after there pathetic bad luck story they will make you realise that you and only you in 6.5 billion humans on this planet can get them out of their predicament. If of course you decline you will be made to look like a selfish b*****d and not a nice person. Well seeing as their demand is a 1 in 6.5 billion to 1 chance of succeeding then join the other bastards and be in the majority.

One thing now which is a red flag to a bull with me is being pulled to one side to listen to someones bad luck story. I tell everyone who joins me that I despise being asked for subs and I dont sub, or Lend money. If they want a sub then go to Wonga. What I do though is pay this weeks wages this week and as my current staff are ex bankrupt they cant get bank accounts so cash on a Friday and then any tax and Ni under or overpayments are made next Friday. But NO subs! But this fight has took the best part of 10 years to win. After many a temper tantrum and argument over refusing to give in they now have stopped asking.

But what you have now Chris is a problem that is not easily solved. Be careful that you are not training the competition. There is a lady at the local job centre who works with the local College and CITB. But it is paye and you are committed to 30hrs a week minimum and every week. There is grant of £3.5k but paid 3 months in arrears.

I am going to need my apprentice now Chris otherwise you could have borrowed him but keep in touch I will loan him to you when I can. He is going to PFT Northern for his Ritmo training maybe this Tuesday so dont despair.

Good luck pal.

For the comments regarding paying every week on time, he was, every week apart from Friday just gone.

He was paid a decent wage as well, I did agree with him I'd pay him on Saturday afternoon previously as I didn't have time to go to the bank.

Don't try and dress it up to be something it isn't, I also subbed him wages for fags and snap, so it works both ways

Like Iv said in the post above, he was paid every week on time, every Friday or even Thursday if we were off.

The reason I didn't pay him is because I couldn't physically get to the bank so had to wait until I could draw some more cash out,

He was subbed for fags, food and other occasions, so cut the crap, it works both ways.

I haven't sacked him for pestering for his money, I sacked him because he's fooking s**t at his job

I will tell you what to expect in the future Chris with a lab that shows promise. They start off as good labourers and start to pick it up with enthusiasm. Then they get to the point where they are flat out labouring and doing wht they can on the tools but then they want to be more on the tools and start to get tired of labouring. Then the attitude kicks in. They show they are getting a bit fed up with labouring and it's about time you got another. So they can concentrate on being on the tools full time.

Might sound good but it can be an awkward changeover period. you then need the work for 3 and what with the new labourer problems his money will need to go up or he's off to the competition. this is why I have stuck with the devil I know but there is only so much of the Devil you can take.

Like Iv said in the post above, he was paid every week on time, every Friday or even Thursday if we were off.

The reason I didn't pay him is because I couldn't physically get to the bank so had to wait until I could draw some more cash out,

He was subbed for fags, food and other occasions, so cut the crap, it works both ways.

I haven't sacked him for pestering for his money, I sacked him because he's fooking s**t at his job

Fair enough.

Tight b*****d.

I will tell you what to expect in the future Chris with a lab that shows promise. They start off as good labourers and start to pick it up with enthusiasm. Then they get to the point where they are flat out labouring and doing wht they can on the tools but then they want to be more on the tools and start to get tired of labouring. Then the attitude kicks in. They show they are getting a bit fed up with labouring and it's about time you got another. So they can concentrate on being on the tools full time.

Might sound good but it can be an awkward changeover period. you then need the work for 3 and what with the new labourer problems his money will need to go up or he's off to the competition. this is why I have stuck with the devil I know but there is only so much of the Devil you can take.

Which is what I did, stuck with him, gave him a fair crack at it, the cleaning of the job we just finished was poor, I had to do it again after, which is not what I'm paying him for.

Got 6/7 interested in gunna have a chat with them tomorrow

At least you have the nice position of having work and not enough staff, and not the other way lads on but no work, laying fully grown men off with families, about the worst thing in the world I've done in the past.

there must be a big north /south divide on labourers money, what this lad could get in 18 months time we have to pay straight away and we still struggle to get anyone who is decent, a lad we started 6 weeks ago quit after 4 weeks and said "its not working out", i said its a bloody job not a relationship you t**t and the lad we replaced him with 2 weeks ago who has no experience and is on £400 a week told us on friday he would be happier on £120 a day, yeah i bet he fooking would

What @leebo02 says makes me work on my own, just to wash buckets up and hang about doesn't worth it for me that sort of money I rather get matey in so we both can crack on when I'm stuck, I just don't want the responsibility for others, I hate letting people down

Labourers in the frozen north aren't getting more than 300 odd ish a week.
But you can buy a house for that, keep your whippet in steak and still buy as many designer flat caps as you want.

for an adult doing a 40 hour week the minimum wage is £6.50 (Going up 20p in october) so thats £260 , our labourer is 20 so the minimum wage for him is £5.13, so £205 for a 40 hour week, we pay him double that,, we would never find any one who would be prepared to work his way up to £300- £400 in 18 months time, they want that from day one

Status
Not open for further replies.