Krend?????

Gwalsh

Hi,

I'm hoping some of you guys may be able to offer some advice on whether to use Krend or not.

We were just about to book to have three sides of our house rendered with Krend but bumped in to a friend of ours tonight who works on sites regularly and advised caution as he has heard a lot of mixed reviews, mainly to do with it staining quite quickly.

I've spent the last hour reading reviews which seem to be split between good and bad, the bad ranging from bits falling off in bad weather to growing algae which when treated has affected the colour!!

My question is probably naively simple but would you recommend it over traditional sand and cement? We've saved for a long time to pay for it and desperately don't want to make the wrong decision.

We live in the north west and damp weather is the norm.

Very grateful for any advice you are happy to give.

Cheers

Gary

Hi,

I'm hoping some of you guys may be able to offer some advice on whether to use Krend or not.

We were just about to book to have three sides of our house rendered with Krend but bumped in to a friend of ours tonight who works on sites regularly and advised caution as he has heard a lot of mixed reviews, mainly to do with it staining quite quickly.

I've spent the last hour reading reviews which seem to be split between good and bad, the bad ranging from bits falling off in bad weather to growing algae which when treated has affected the colour!!

My question is probably naively simple but would you recommend it over traditional sand and cement? We've saved for a long time to pay for it and desperately don't want to make the wrong decision.

Cheers

Gary
Why only three sides? What's on there now? Any pics?

K1 is a better product of the k-rend brand.
People tend to call scrape render "k-rend" as this about 10 years ago was the leading product of scrape render.
K rend is a brand of scrape render finish.
If your after a scraped finish I would recommend parex-Lanko (monorex) or Weber-pral. Weber has now introduced a anti algae additive. Monorex sell a sealer separate

Personally I'm not a massive fan I prefer thin coat coloured silicone over mono.

But I also think that its probably more important that you have a good renderer over whichever product you choose, as the best product in the world will be spoilt by poor application.

Personally I wouldn't entertain sand & cement but yet others have 100% faith in it.

They all have there pros & cons tbh.

Zombie

Why only three sides? What's on there now? Any pics?

The back of the house is covered mostly by the conservatory and the brick is in better condition so we're just having the front and either side done. The house is completely brick at the moment but is poor quality brick and some faces are falling away. Rendering seems the best option to to repair the house and change the appearance.

Thanks

Personally I'm not a massive fan I prefer thin coat coloured silicone over mono.

But I also think that its probably more important that you have a good renderer over whichever product you choose, as the best product in the world will be spoilt by poor application.

Personally I wouldn't entertain sand & cement but yet others have 100% faith in it.

They all have there pros & cons tbh.

Zombie

Thanks.

We've seen some work done by our renderer previously and it looks a very good finish plus he's been recommended by friends who have used him previously. Confident I have the right guy for the job, just concerns over the product. I'll ask exactly what product he is using and post. Thanks for the advice

K1 is a better product of the k-rend brand.
People tend to call scrape render "k-rend" as this about 10 years ago was the leading product of scrape render.
K rend is a brand of scrape render finish.
If your after a scraped finish I would recommend parex-Lanko (monorex) or Weber-pral. Weber has now introduced a anti algae additive. Monorex sell a sealer separate

Cheers, I'll find out exactly what product he is using and post but will ask if he uses alternatives to k Rend. The algae is a concern due to the area I live and we are quite exposed.

We are after a smooth finish if that is different to scratched and am not overly concerned if it needs painting down the years but am trying to be sure we are using a reliable product that doesn't damage easily or stain / grow algae.

Thanks for your reply

Hi,

Cheers

Gary

If the wall is shaded, constantly damp and already growing algae then applying a layer of k rend or any other porous render won't stop it doing any of that. Walls that are generally dry and correctly protected by roof overhang, correctly positioned roof tiles and gutters that don't leak or are full will be fine for many years, doesn't matter how much it rains if this is right.

The render will last as long as the building allows it to basically and you need to take care of the basics before slapping on render on.

There's a couple of ways to approach the problem of a persistent damp wall. Either protect the render after application with a sealer such as paragard or K pro I think krend call theirs or try to fix the source of the persistent damp if possible.

Algae thrives in persistent moisture, it's not any renders fault if you allow that to happen.

Hi,

Cheers

Gary
No its shite

Hi,

Cheers

Gary
Were in the northwest are you Gary? There are a few of us on here local if you want a price and a bit of advise.

f**k it more like

we skimmed a site in blackpool a few years back for marcus worthington.
houses were rendered thin coat.....yellow/blue etc.....looked like s**t at the time.
now it looks unbelievable completly stained all over from the weather off the front.

the lakes dash and stone everything the staining never seems to set on stones or dash.

new renders seem to be an easy buck.

houses were rendered thin coat.....yellow/blue etc.....looked like s**t at the time.
now it looks unbelievable completly stained all over from the weather off the front.

the lakes dash and stone everything the staining never seems to set on stones or dash.

But old school render finishes seem to be a dieing art and not many can do them or can be bothered doing them anymore?? I still enjoy dashing or bit of plain rub or ashlar etc. Tyro lean is a pain but only because of all the masking up

But old school render finishes seem to be a dieing art and not many can do them or can be bothered doing them anymore?? I still enjoy dashing or bit of plain rub or ashlar etc. Tyro lean is a pain but only because of all the masking up

my poor wrists couldnt take tyro anymore !!

Easy buck...ha

I'd contact your local Krend rep and ask for an applicator, Krend will work with him and as long as it's to spec give you a full 30 year guarantee, I've seen people putting it on before with 10 and even 6mm beads which isn't guaranteed