Krend on painted render questions

Members online

smudgez1000

Hi All ... I've gone through all the posts and not found what I'm looking for ... I'm also prepared for the 'don't do it if you don't know what you're doing' train of thought, which I get .... but here goes -

I want to get ready for sale and I need to re-render my 1850's house. its got cracked - but (mostly!) sound painted render, thats been repaired over the years and looks s**t. The walls also have a little deflection so are never going to be flat. Taking the render off isn't an option as the bricks pretty crumbly, so ... I'll go over it.

Krend rep has sent me a spec of using UF Fiber Bind at 10mm and FT on top at 10mm .... they don't seem keen to offer any more info though! So .... there's always more than one way to skin a cat ... for those who use this gear ... can you tell me what you'd use and would you put a mesh in the base coat? Would you SBR the walls first?

Basically I just need to make it look prettier than it is as I want to get it on the market by July and move on, I'll be hand applying with another local spread mate of mine and hopefully someone constantly mixing (megamix drill) ... problem is neither of us have any experience with Krend. I've got a few small areas I can practise on to get the hang of it ... but would someone mind giving me a walk through of the process?

Im particularly keen to find out timing for the base coat and top coat, i.e. I presume you top coat the next day ... but what if you top coat 3 days later? I thought about going on the gold trowel course .... but the cost of that will go a long way to the materials cost .... Like I say, this building is never going to look mint because of the deflection in the walls, and I recon with a little advise I'll be ok ...

So looking forward to someone giving me a hand here :);)

Cheers all

Clive .... Tunbridge Wells

Attachments

• IMG_1811.JPG
    IMG_1811.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 647
  • IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 667
Never a good idea going over a painted surface, from the pics the house doesn't look that bad and if you have never used the gear before there's a chance you could make it worse. If I were you i'd just over paint it, make it look clean and fresh long enough for you to sell, save you a bit in costs aswell

Last edited:
Never a good idea going over a painted surface, from the pics the house doesn't look that bad and if you have never used the gear before there's a chance you could make it worse. If I were you i'd just over paint it, make it look clean and fresh long enough for you to sell, save you a bit in costs swell

It does actually look pretty s**t when up close and the old beading is rusted .... I get going over paint is a little dangerous ... after all ... how much weight can paint take!?

I'd be painting that. K-rend aint cheap, it becomes VERY expensive when you need to have it done twice.

Finish the plinth around the house, paint it black. Do some nice future around the windows and fix the facia , would off be mine advise, but zooming in you can see more of the state of the house. Defo rendering

Hmm ... its a tricky one ... there's areas I'd have to hack out and re-render if I went down the paint route, and quite a few cracks that'd need filling ... and then it'll always show. TBH Id rather not have to go to the ball ache of rendering or krending the whole thing ... just figured thats what Id ought to do ... always open to other opinions though :)

Fascia, soffit and new roof already done ... these are some older pics ... not sure painting it black is the way to go though ?!!
Really appreciate the input though ...