Kingspan K5 external insulation board

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some advice regarding the fixing of this stuff.
The way that I know is that the board, whatever make/firm, is fixed with bedding adhesive and then (depending on substrate) mechanically anchored with hammer fixings.
The job I've just priced for has been insulated by the builder. Its directly over existing render with an uneven surface. Kingspan told him to fix each board with 5 fixings 1 in each corner and one in the middle, which he has done, but the boards are moving like f**k. Has anyone ever rendered over this system? I'm really sceptical about it!
Advice apprieciated.

What ? Who did these cowboy job ?
Kingspan must be fixed with adhesive then anchors like you said. But you don't need really us anchors if building is up to 6 meters high.
I know what I talking about. My own company is certificated tu do this work by manufacturer.
If you like you can see job done properly on my website (gallery) DIYhomeSOS

Need some advice regarding the fixing of this stuff.
The way that I know is that the board, whatever make/firm, is fixed with bedding adhesive and then (depending on substrate) mechanically anchored with hammer fixings.
The job I've just priced for has been insulated by the builder. Its directly over existing render with an uneven surface. Kingspan told him to fix each board with 5 fixings 1 in each corner and one in the middle, which he has done, but the boards are moving like f**k. Has anyone ever rendered over this system? I'm really sceptical about it!
Advice apprieciated.

if the exsisting render was uneven it should have been straightened first before fixing boards , you defo need fixings in k5 as any render manufacturer you speak to dont trust the tissue paper on them for just adhesive, parex also say to microgobetis before base coat to kill any suction as there is quite a bit , but on small areas its ok not to, if the boards are moving about mate they need to come off and to be fixed properly before you do any thing,

if the exsisting render was uneven it should have been straightened first before fixing boards , you defo need fixings in k5 as any render manufacturer you speak to dont trust the tissue paper on them for just adhesive, parex also say to microgobetis before base coat to kill any suction as there is quite a bit , but on small areas its ok not to, if the boards are moving about mate they need to come off and to be fixed properly before you do any thing,
Thing is he's done about 170m2 of 230m2 already! It'll be quite a lot to take off! Might bin the job.

First of all lets be clear. NOT ALL systems need to be Adhesive plus pinned - Some systems do spec pin only fix given the location and height of the building.

Some systems adhesive only. nearly all systems spec adhesive and pin when you go past a certain height and the wind loads change - usually second floor and beyond.

the boards should not be moving pal and if pinned properly even without adhesive they should not move when done correctly so I would suggest the wrong fixing has been used or there is a problem with the substrate.

what thickness are the boards?
did he drill pilots?
has he used the correct bit for the pilots?
Right length fixing?

It will be easy to sort mate and you will just need to nip round and re fix. dont turn the job down at this stage

First of all lets be clear. NOT ALL systems need to be Adhesive plus pinned - Some systems do spec pin only fix given the location and height of the building.

Some systems adhesive only. nearly all systems spec adhesive and pin when you go past a certain height and the wind loads change - usually second floor and beyond.

the boards should not be moving pal and if pinned properly even without adhesive they should not move when done correctly so I would suggest the wrong fixing has been used or there is a problem with the substrate.

what thickness are the boards?
did he drill pilots?
has he used the correct bit for the pilots?
Right length fixing?

It will be easy to sort mate and you will just need to nip round and re fix. dont turn the job down at this stage

Yep we have had specs sent us for dry fix only and one was a single fix in the centre of the board firts pass an mesh let cure and then pin again four or five to board (roughly) then second pass

how long you have experience with External wall insulation ?
Hi said 230 sq. meters , don't think so these building is low. Insulation with render be too heavy to secured with just anchors.

Because most of my costumers is from Cumbria and Wales not too many around Bradford.

come off it mate I have done bungalows with 200M2 on them its 2 days work for a decent gang, if he knows what he is doing he will sort it quicktime no probs.

......and the fix (pin,adhesive or both) depends on the system manufacturer (there are loads of them out there now) and the spec

come off it mate I have done bungalows with 200M2 on them its 2 days work for a decent gang, if he knows what he is doing he will sort it quicktime no probs.

......and the fix (pin,adhesive or both) depends on the system manufacturer (there are loads of them out there now) and the spec
British companies which have longer than 3 years experience in external wallinsulation. whether you think it's enough to give any guarantees longer thanthis period?
Many companies started to do it without any experience just because they see that they are good money to do. See how many companies haveapproved any of its insulation system. Kingspan has no Non-approval, and thematerial should have for the safety of your family. It belongs to combustible materials.
Companies want to have too so cut the cost of the material because the customer always chooses a cheaper system that does not mean it is good.
I'll tell you just enough, you'll be happy as a couple of years after a good windwill not have to look for insulation in your neighbor's garden.

What qualifications do you hold majestics (other than the made up ones on the bottom of your web page), a how long has your company been trading (in this country) and how come there is no business address on your site just an hotmail address and mobile no, site seems very suspicious and the pictures are they all pictures of your work on your jobs

What qualifications do you hold majestics (other than the made up ones on the bottom of your web page), a how long has your company been trading (in this country) and how come there is no business address on your site just an hotmail address and mobile no, site seems very suspicious and the pictures are they all pictures of your work on your jobs
Our website is new and not yet skończona.Zadna company does not have a large number of images because it slows down the website. I have acertificate issued by the insulation manufacturer Aval. It is one of the largest companies in Europe. 40% of the insulation in Ireland is made ​​of theirmaterial. Do you want more proof mate?

Our website is new and not yet finished. No company has a large number ofimages because it slows down the website. I have a certificate issued by theinsulation manufacturer Aval. It is one of the largest companies in Europe.40% of the insulation in Ireland is made ​​of their material. Do you want more proof mate?

Our website is new and not yet finished. No company has a large number ofimages because it slows down the website. I have a certificate issued by theinsulation manufacturer Aval. It is one of the largest companies in Europe.40% of the insulation in Ireland is made ​​of their material. Do you want more proof mate?

It's just you have a lot of images but only seem to have a few of your work/you working. I have a certificates issued by Majestics in Doncaster for the most kebabs eaten in one night, only joking mate, don't take things too serious and relax a bit , enjoy the forum you will learn a lot on here and will soon have some proper qualifications :RpS_thumbup:

flipa.gif

Thanks for your imput everyone. Spoke to the builder today and he put more fixings in and it seems pretty solid now, I told him I'll do it , but I'll only be responsible for the quality of my work and not for his part should it fail. which leaves me in the clear- ish. I'm only going to do a small section for now. If any movement occurs then he's going to bite the bullet and take off the rest of the boards and re do properly.

Majestics - I've had several years experience with EWI but not in this country, lived in germany for 15 years and its the norm there. the uk is just starting to catch up, which is good. its the future. I want to get in to this sort of work but been too busy doing mono renders. Check out MY website.
love the smileys peeps.

British companies which have longer than 3 years experience in external wallinsulation. whether you think it's enough to give any guarantees longer thanthis period?
Many companies started to do it without any experience just because they see that they are good money to do. See how many companies haveapproved any of its insulation system. Kingspan has no Non-approval, and thematerial should have for the safety of your family. It belongs to combustible materials.
Companies want to have too so cut the cost of the material because the customer always chooses a cheaper system that does not mean it is good.
I'll tell you just enough, you'll be happy as a couple of years after a good windwill not have to look for insulation in your neighbor's garden.

I dont understand what you are saying above mate in response to my earlier post - it makes no sense.
Anyway 230M is not that big and many single detached houses with only a first floor have 230m or more on them so I dont know how many houses you have done in your time or how much experience you have or how many buildings you have done but I have been lucky enough to use nearly all the systems on the market on houses, hotels, blocks of flats, high rise towers, shopping malls, churches etc so I aint bullshi11ing you.

sorry if you taken this the wrong way but before posting advice/info on public forums the info needs to be right

Warranty will be anywhere from 10 yrs or above also depending on our contracts.

Also the insulation should NEVER come off when done properly.

Last edited:
We screwed the polystyrene one straight to timber there was shi loads of movement an it hasn't cracked ......and before anyone starts I know I don't know what I'm doing

Status
Not open for further replies.