keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone explain to me how a van can lock itself when the keys are in the back with the key fob, it happend to me today and had to break the quarter light to get in cost me £70 to replace

dont talk to me about keys, yesterday morning looking for me van keys for 45 mins ended up finding them under me daughters home work book,after running round the house like a mainiac

Some vans have got a feature built into the alarm/central locking keyfob whereby if you unlock the van using the fob but don't open any of the doors within a certain time period (usually 1 minute) then it will relock itself automatically. If you do open any of the doors within the 1 minute then it cancels the relocking feature - it relies the pin switches on the doors to know if any of the doors have been opened.

Say you had a faulty pin switch on one of your back doors, and you unlocked the van, opened the back doors and put the keys in the back and then shut the door (all within the 1 minute period), then the alarm would think that no door had been opened so would relock itself.

It's a bit of a longshot, but it's possible??!!

If your van has central locking, next time that happens, if you have telephone access to a person with a spare key, get them to plip the key down the phone whilst you hold your phone close to the vehicle and will unlock it. No s**t!

haha f**k off tony! thats nearly as bad as the one where if you click it behind your head you can unlock your car further away!

Central locking buggered up on mine the other day cab was ok but could`nt get in the back for me tools got a bulk head too so could`nt climb over,had the day off, got it sorted in the end a frigging 20p fuse ffs under the steering column ::) ::)

once got a new lease van and my mate fell asleep in the back p'ssed up and dropped the keys somewhere in the back..
woke up, couldnt see jack cos it was pitch black...
people walking past watching me talk to a van were well amused...
eventually managed to get in through the cab window, smashed off the bulkhead and he found the fob in the toolbox....
muppet... ;D

pftmonojetman said:
Central locking buggered up on mine the other day cab was ok but could`nt get in the back for me tools got a bulk head too so could`nt climb over,had the day off, got it sorted in the end a frigging 20p fuse ffs under the steering column ::) ::)

Yeah had that happen to me AA bloke pulled out 15amp fuse under the steering column in my transit then put it back in & the central locking made a clicking sound then everything worked as normal.

What happened was i ain't got a key fob yet so i just use the key & the drivers door locked but wouldn't open with a key or wouldn't pull open from inside.
Evertyhing else was open.

Had it happen a few times since so just pull out fuse & pop back in, easy when you know how.

Status
Not open for further replies.