keeping a wet edge when dashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruffin

help ! i have only done a few dashing jobs but never really know how to keep a wet edge, if i go left to right with someone following throwing the stone its fine until we drop down to the next lift and then the edge is dry and stone dont stick to well, or i overlay then u have a scar.

Please someone help as this is my first post

When you drop down a lift cut into the dash making a straight line but come 6" above the dashing you have just done then with the edge of the trowel scrape away half the thickness of the the newly dash morter , put on your next coat on but do not blend into joint until you are about ready to start dashing then butter into the joint just flick a little water on the joint you have just dashed and away you go. If you think it may showing a ridge on this joint just gently press the stones flat. Kill the suction before it kills you.

I've never done it like that before Henry, sounds like more work. I usually just leave a good 'tail' .......That is, I dont dash right into the bottom of the cement coat I have laid on, maybe 8 - 12 inches left bare until I get onto the next lift. Then I give the 'tail' a little splash of water and lay on the next lift, running the next coat into the coat above. If it's a big area I sometimes mix some freeflo into a water bucket and brush the joints beforehand. Timing is king:RpS_thumbup:

I've never done it like that before Henry, sounds like more work. I usually just leave a good 'tail' .......That is, I dont dash right into the bottom of the cement coat I have laid on, maybe 8 - 12 inches left bare until I get onto the next lift. Then I give the 'tail' a little splash of water and lay on the next lift, running the next coat into the coat above. If it's a big area I sometimes mix some freeflo into a water bucket and brush the joints beforehand. Timing is king:RpS_thumbup:
ditto if there is plenty of w/p in scratch coat its not generally a problem

good post bubbles what's freeflo and have you worked off ladder brackets . there a blast from the past.

good post bubbles what is free flo and have you worked off ladder brackets now there a blast from the past.

good post bubbles what is free flo and have you worked off ladder brackets now there a blast from the past.

Aye henry I have............. we used to call them 'cripples' and I know why - I fell off the bstards once:-0

Your one jammie bstards to tell the tale who the feck invented them. My knees use to knock when working off them LOL.

Yeah, well dodgy! Health & Safety seems to have banned them, can't understand why - I'll see if I can find a piccy!

What about them wooden boxes on the back of a pick up not bolted down that's how guys use to be picked up for work, in my early days the gaffer use to tow the mixer behind the pick up with me holding onto toe bar of the mixer feck me young and stupid.

thats the way to do it, plenty of waterproofer in the scratch, never no probs

Yeah good cheers mate and yep im fairly busy, well i havent had anytime off at all and i seem to be turning jobs down as its just bankrolling to many jobs breaks me. You busy mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.